Filename completion, internet files

Charles Dye

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 20, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
prospero.unm.edu
Attempting to download the latest build from the command line, I was unable to use filename completion. Thought I'd found a new bug; nope, just a configuration error. I had UnixPaths=NO. Fixed that, everything worked as expected.

Suggest that whenever file completion is attempted on an internet file, i.e. anything beginning with xxx:// then forward slashes should be handled as if UnixPaths=YES, regardless of the current setting.

Charles Dye wrote:
| Suggest that whenever file completion is attempted on an internet
| file, i.e. anything beginning with xxx:// then forward slashes
| should be handled as if UnixPaths=YES, regardless of the current
| setting.

Concur.
--
Steve

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
Attempting to download the latest build from the command line, I was unable to use filename completion. Thought I'd found a new bug; nope, just a configuration error. I had UnixPaths=NO. Fixed that, everything worked as expected.

Suggest that whenever file completion is attempted on an internet file, i.e. anything beginning with xxx:// then forward slashes should be handled as if UnixPaths=YES, regardless of the current setting.
Only possible if you don't have additional forward slashes in the name; i.e. something like:

ftp://jpsoft.com<tab>

would work but

ftp://jpsoft.com/tcmd/foo<tab>

would be incomprehensible to the parser.

Of course, if you could get everybody to use the correct syntax and put spaces before their switch characters, it'd be easy to implement.