Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Firefox 29.0.1 - changing search engine

I use the Google toolbar so no matter if I use IE, Firefox, or chrome, all the searches use Google....

Firefox is on a downward spiral just like Windows. I think you need to customize the interface, stick the search bar somewhere, use that to change search engines, and then remove it. Stupid, but true.

Cannot verify this. Updated to 29.0.1 some seconds ago - no change. Also, I do not agree with TEA-Time, seeing the things Chrome does, there's no alternative to Firefox.

Cannot verify this. Updated to 29.0.1 some seconds ago - no change. Also, I do not agree with TEA-Time, seeing the things Chrome does, there's no alternative to Firefox.
Don't get me wrong, I still primarily use Firefox, but they just revamped the interface and removed configurability in the name of adding configurability. At least I'm used to Chrome's (my 2nd browser of choice) programmers disappointing me.

David:
You answered just what I needed. It used to be on the left once upon a time... Also, McAfee put its own icon to the right of the down-arrow, mahing it more difficult to see.

Don't get me wrong, I still primarily use Firefox, but they just revamped the interface and removed configurability in the name of adding configurability. At least I'm used to Chrome's (my 2nd browser of choice) programmers disappointing me.

The options they remove are mainly those that could be inadvertently changed by beginners and thus leave them stranded with a "broken" browser/web. For example, the Javascript checkbox in previous releases. As well as some toolbar buttons in this one apparently.

Power users can always resort to about:config or add-ons.

Try convincing the 91% here (was 86% when I first saw it right after the change, so it's getting worse as it's forced down more people's throats) that it being dumbed down is for their own good:

https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/

I'm sorry, but removing the status/add-on bar, not allowing the address bar to be moved back above the tabs, taking away the regular and expanding spaces that could be placed on toolbars (so now everything is smashed to the left), and not allowing new toolbars to be created doesn't make it more configurable, and it doesn't keep people from breaking their browser either.

I doubt those complaining are new users though. Any change is bound to upset some existing users.

Personally I like the new interface, but I never really customized the toolbars much either, I prefer to use the standard menu (and keyboard shortcuts), and it was improved in FF 29 (can now be displayed without disabling the new look).

Removing options is ALWAYS BAD. It's the principle "We tell you what to do" instead of "Have your choice". Worse is when what is still adjustable is hidden how. Nickbackm, where is "About: config or add-ons"? I went through every entry in the "File Edit ..." bar and every item that has submenus, but not found. And looking at the original issue I posted, that little down-pointed triangle (to the right of the hieroglyphic (also known as icon) when hovering on it just tells you which search engine is currently chosen, no indication that clicking on the triangle opens a choice menu.

But we are ranting in the wrong venue. I did solve my original issue, and better than expected (search engine selection is sticky).

> where is "About: config or add-ons"

You enter "about:config" in the location box to open a list of config attributes. Better not change anything unless you know what it does though!

Add-ons can be found from the Tools menu. Or Ctrl-Shift-A.

> where is "About: config or add-ons"
You enter "about:config" in the location box to open a list of config attributes. Better not change anything unless you know what it does though!
How do I find that if I don't know in advance? And how do I guess that it is a virtual URL? But - as I wrote before - the rant belongs to a Firefox forum, not here.

I doubt those complaining are new users though. Any change is bound to upset some existing users.

Personally I like the new interface, but I never really customized the toolbars much either, I prefer to use the standard menu (and keyboard shortcuts), and it was improved in FF 29 (can now be displayed without disabling the new look).
But the thing is.. they could have left those configurabilities (is that even a word?? heh) in and it wouldn't have taken away from the new interface at all.

Ok, I'm done. :)

Try entering "about:about" (without the quotes, of course) into the address bar sometime to see more of the secret things you can explore. There are quite a few.

Back