Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to? Frozen session tab with "ERROR: The file is either empty or does not contain the valid choices."

Jul
I've been seeing this error here and there, and I'm wondering if there's a way around it?

An example when compiling code with Ant (only the last line matters. The rest are just for context):

[javac] Compiling 31 source files to R:\jeffy\programming\build\CLASSES
[javac] R:\jeffy\programming\sandbox\z__for_git_commit_only\codelet\examples\com\github\aliteralmind\codelet\examples\for_testing_only\TestingFileSysPropFailure.java:36: error: class TestingFileSysPropSuccess is public, should be declared in a file named TestingFileSysPropSuccess.java
[javac] public class TestingFileSysPropSuccess {
[javac] ^
[javac] R:\jeffy\programming\sandbox\z__for_git_commit_only\codelet\examples\com\github\aliteralmind\codelet\examples\for_testing_only\TestingFileSysPropSuccess.java:36: error: duplicate class: com.github.aliteralmind.codelet.examples.for_testing_only.TestingFileSysPropSuccess
[javac] public class TestingFileSysPropSuccess {
[javac] ^
[javac] 2 errors
BUILD FAILED
R:\jeffy\programming\sandbox\z__for_git_commit_only\codelet\build.xml:112: The following error occurred while executing this line:
R:\jeffy\programming\sandbox\z__for_git_commit_only\codelet\build.xml:116: The following error occurred while executing this line:
R:\jeffy\programming\sandbox\z__for_git_commit_only\codelet\build.xml:122: The following error occurred while executing this line:R:\jeffy\programming\sandbox\z__for_git_commit_only\codelet\build.xml:127: The following error occurred while executing this line:
R:\jeffy\programming\sandbox\z__for_git_commit_only\codelet\z_build\ant_sub_files\compile_examples.xml:5: The following error occurred while executing this line:
R:\jeffy\programming\sandbox\z__for_git_commit_only\codelet\z_build\ant_sub_files\compile_examples.xml:9: The following error occurred while executing this line:
R:\jeffy\programming\sandbox\z__for_git_commit_only\codelet\z_build\ant_sub_files\compile_examples.xml:18: Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.Total time: 13 seconds
ERROR: The file is either empty or does not contain the valid choices.

Whenever this "The file is either empty or does not contain the valid choices" error appears, the tab is frozen and you need to close the tab and reopen it. You can't cancel it with Ctrl+C

Take Command itself is not frozen, and restarting the tab is possible. I'm wondering if there is a way to prevent this, or to get around it.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Does the "ant" (or whatever it's called) program terminate (does the TCC prompt return)? If "no", I doubt TCC/TCMD can do anything about it.

I've run these tasks thousands of times in TCC/LE, and these tasks always exited.

In Take Command, they consistently freeze like this. I can't honestly say every time yet, but a lot.

Ok. I understand.

Is there any way beyond Ctrl+C, or closing the tab entirely, to unfreeze this, and get back to the command prompt?

Do you see the same issue if you detach the tab before running the program?

So.... this program gorks with an error message in the full version of TCC, but works in TCC/LE...? That's very odd.

I'm not clear on what you're doing that produces this error. What is the last command that you type before seeing all this gribble? Does that command launch a program or a batch file? (The WHICH command will tell you.) If it's a batch file, are you able to post it here?

Okay. I can faithfully reproduce it, but unfortunately it requires that you install the JDK and Ant (http://ant.apache.org/).

Once Ant is installed, use the two files I pasted below. Save them in the same directory, and execute "ant" from that directory, via Take Command.

Watch this video for a demonstration: http://screencast.com/t/JgbWSFX31

Test.java

Code:
public class Test  {
    public static final void main(String[] ignored)  {
        x
    }
}

build.xml

HTML:
<project name="take_command_error_test" default="compile" basedir=".">
    <target name="compile" description="...">
        <javac srcdir="." destdir="." listfiles="true" includeantruntime="true"
            includes="Test.java"/>
    </target>
</project>

Ok. I understand.

Is there any way beyond Ctrl+C, or closing the tab entirely, to unfreeze this, and get back to the command prompt?
It would seem that the app in question (ant?) is hung ... won't exit. If it (the hung app) responds to Ctrl-C, that's the best scenario I can think of. Does Ctrl-C terminate the hung app and return the TCC prompt?

It works in Console2:
v8CTzVL.jpg

It works in PowerCommand:

ZraGSko.jpg

And, as I mentioned before, it's also worked in TCC/LE for years.

I get the same results in every shell I've tried.

Code:
C:\Ant>ver /r

TCC  16.03.55  Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
TCC Build 55  Windows XP Build 2600  Service Pack 3
Registered to Charles Dye - 5 System License

C:\Ant>ant
Buildfile: C:\Ant\build.xml

compile:
  [javac] Compiling 1 source file to C:\Ant
  [javac] C:\Ant\Test.java
  [javac] C:\Ant\Test.java:3: error: not a statement
  [javac]  x
  [javac]  ^
  [javac] C:\Ant\Test.java:3: error: ';' expected
  [javac]  x
  [javac]  ^
  [javac] 2 errors

BUILD FAILED
C:\Ant\build.xml:4: Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.

Total time: 1 second

C:\Ant>

Code:

TCC  15.01.58  Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
TCC Build 58  Windows XP Build 2600  Service Pack 3
Registered to Charles Dye - 5 System License

compile:
  [javac]  x
  [javac]  ^
  [javac]  x
  [javac]  ^
  [javac] 2 errors

BUILD FAILED

Code:

TCC LE  13.06.77  Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
TCC LE Build 77  Windows XP Build 2600  Service Pack 3

compile:
  [javac]  x
  [javac]  ^
  [javac]  x
  [javac]  ^
  [javac] 2 errors

BUILD FAILED

Code:
C:\Ant>ver

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

compile:
  [javac]  x
  [javac]  ^
  [javac]  x
  [javac]  ^
  [javac] 2 errors

BUILD FAILED

If you're seeing different results in standalone TCC versus TCC/LE, it is almost certainly because they are configured differently. Things to look for: different aliases, different environment variables, different special characters (SETDOS), and different .INI options such as CmdVariables, DelayedExpansion, DuplicateBugs, NoClobber, and PathExt.

I uninstalled, eliminated the AppData/Local/JPSoft directory and my TCSTART.bat file, restarted my computer, installed Take Command again, and the same thing is happening--frozen with "invalid choices". This happens both in a tab window, and in a "detached" window.

WHICH ANT responds with

ANT is a batch file : C:\applications\programming\apache-ant-1.8.1\bin\ANT.bat
:bawling:

I don't know if I've said this, but I'm on Windows 7, 32 bit.

Just for completeness sake, here are all my environment variables (output of "set"):

Code:
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
ANT_HOME=C:\applications\programming\apache-ant-1.8.1
APPDATA=C:\Users\jeffy\AppData\Roaming
APR_ICONV1_PATH=C:\applications\programming\collabnet_subversion_edge\bin\iconv\
asl.log=Destination=file;OnFirstLog=command,environment
CLASSPATH=.;C:\applications\programming\apache-ant-1.9.4\lib\apache-ant-1.9.4.jar;C:\applications\programming\commons-collections4-4.0\commons-collections4-4.0.jar;C:\applications\programming\commons-io-2.4\commons-io-2.4.jar;C:\applications\programming\commons-lang3-3.3.2\commons-lang3-3.3.2.jar;C:\applications\programming\guava-16.0.1.jar;C:\applications\programming\jdebugtool.jar;C:\applications\programming\jdk_7_51\lib\tools.jar;C:\applications\programming\junit-4.11\*;R:\jeffy\programming\build\CLASSES;R:\jeffy\programming\sandbox\notmine\dependency_jars\*;R:\jeffy\programming\sandbox\notmine\ez-vcard\target\classes;R:\jeffy\programming\sandbox\notmine\ez-vcard\target\test-classes;C:\applications\programming\maven-ant-tasks-2.1.3.jar
CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
COMPUTERNAME=KERMIT-THE-FROG
ComSpec=C:\applications\utilities\take_command_16\TCC.EXE
CW_UPDATE=Y
DFSTRACINGON=FALSE
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Users\jeffy
JAVA_HOME=C:\applications\programming\jdk_7_51
LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\jeffy\AppData\Local
LOGONSERVER=\\KERMIT-THE-FROG
M2=C:\applications\programming\apache-maven-3.2.2\bin
M2_HOME=C:\applications\programming\apache-maven-3.2.2
MACRO_DIR=R:\jeffy\programming\sandbox\macros\macro_scheduler\
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2
OS=Windows_NT
Path=C:\applications\programming\;C:\applications\programming\python_341\Lib\;C:\applications\programming\python_341\;C:\applications\programming\python_341\Scripts\;C:\applications\programming\python_341\Scripts;C:\applications\programming\collabnet_subversion_edge\bin\;C:\applications\programming\collabnet_subversion_edge\Python25\;.;C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcSoft\Bin;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Windows\system32;C:\applications\audio\LilyPond\usr\bin;C:\applications\internet\LinkChecker;C:\applications\programming\DependencyFinder-1.2.1-beta4\bin;C:\applications\programming\apache-ant-1.8.1\bin;C:\applications\programming\apache-maven-3.1.1\bin;C:\applications\programming\gradle-1.9\bin;C:\applications\programming\jdk_7_51\bin;C:\applications\programming\unix_utils\usr\local\wbin\;C:\applications\utilities\tcc_le\;C:\applications\video\quicktime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin;C:\applications\programming\apache-maven-3.2.2\bin;c:\applications\gnu_pg\pub
PATHEXT=.SCM;.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC;.PY
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
PROCESSOR_REVISION=1706
ProgramData=C:\ProgramData
ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
PSModulePath=C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\
PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public
PYTHONHOME=C:\applications\programming\python_341
PYTHONPATH=.;C:\applications\programming\;C:\applications\programming\python_341\Lib\;C:\applications\programming\python_341\;C:\applications\programming\python_341\Scripts\;C:\applications\programming\python_341\Scripts;
SESSIONNAME=Console
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\Windows
TCMD=C:\applications\utilities\take_command_16\tcmd.exe
TCMDVER=16.03.55
TEMP=C:\Users\jeffy\AppData\Local\Temp
TMP=C:\Users\jeffy\AppData\Local\Temp
TRACE_FORMAT_SEARCH_PATH=\\NTREL202.ntdev.corp.microsoft.com\4F18C3A5-CA09-4DBD-B6FC-219FDD4C6BE0\TraceFormat
USERDOMAIN=kermit-the-frog
USERNAME=jeffy
USERPROFILE=C:\Users\jeffy
windir=C:\Windows

I just noticed that "C:\applications\utilities\tcc_le\" is in the path, but that directory is empty. I uninstalled TCC/LE entirely, as it was causing conflicts with Take Command.