Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Declined FTP permissions

Charles Dye

Super Moderator
May
Staff member
I'd like a way to set Unix permissions when uploading files via FTP, creating directories, etc.

There's no way to do that in FTP. I'd have to do it with something like SSH, which means (1) knowing the OS the ftp server is running, (2) logging in as root (or at least some kind of admin user), (3) navigating to the appropriate directory, and (4) running the appropriate chmod/attrib/acl/whatever command.

That's not likely to happen. But feel free to implement it as a plugin!

I'm not sure what command Unix servers implement, but supposing it's CHMOD, couldn't you (Charles) cook up something using "IFTP /S" (which uses "QUOTE", I believe) and an alias?

Code:
alias ftpchmod `iftp /s chmod ...`
????

I'm not sure what command Unix servers implement, but supposing it's CHMOD, couldn't you (Charles) cook up something using "IFTP /S" (which uses "QUOTE", I believe) and an alias?

Code:
alias ftpchmod `iftp /s chmod ...`
????

Unlikely. /S sends commands to FTP servers, not to the underlying Linux / Windows / whatever server. Unless you know what FTP software the server is running, and that it will pass those commands on to the OS (which would be a really really bad idea if it was a public server!).

Ah. I had ass-u-med that that functionality was exposed by the FTP protocol.

Ah. I had ass-u-med that that functionality was exposed by the FTP protocol.
It might be ... via the SITE command. I googled a couple examples of "SITE CHMOD ...". As an anonymous user, I don't have access to prospero's SITE command.

Code:
v:\> iftp /v anonymous:[email protected]
Connecting to FTP server.
Connected.
220 (vsFTPd 3.0.2)
USER anonymous
331 Please specify the password.
230 Login successful.
PWD
257 "/"

v:\> iftp /s help
help
214-The following commands are recognized.
 ABOR ACCT ALLO APPE CDUP CWD  DELE EPRT EPSV FEAT HELP LIST MDTM MKD
 MODE NLST NOOP OPTS PASS PASV PORT PWD  QUIT REIN REST RETR RMD  RNFR
 RNTO SITE SIZE SMNT STAT STOR STOU STRU SYST TYPE USER XCUP XCWD XMKD
 XPWD XRMD
214 Help OK.

v:\> iftp /s site
site
550 Permission denied.
TCC: FTP protocol error: 550 Permission denied. "site"

On my server (Windows/Serv-U), when logged in as admin:
Code:
ftp> quote help site
214 Syntax: SITE <sp> subcommand <sp> parameters (issues a server specific FTP command)
or
Code:
v:\> iftp /s help site
help site
214 Syntax: SITE <sp> subcommand <sp> parameters (issues a server specific FTP command)

Accordind to Serv-U's help, the following are implemented via the SITE command:

CHMOD, EXEC, HELP (for SITE), INDEX, MSG, PSWD, SET, ZONE

I don't know how to use CHMOD, but at least one of the site commands works.
Code:
v:\> iftp /s site zone
site zone
210 UTC-300

I don't know exactly what it did, but this seems to have worked here (Windows/Serv-U).
Code:
v:\> iftp /s site chmod 664 xxx.txt
site chmod 664 xxx.txt
253 /E:/Workplace/xxx.txt: Attributes changed okay.

Thank you, Vince. I'll play with it sometime tomorrow, but I suspect that's exactly what I wanted. (Probably doesn't even deserve a plugin; a simple alias would suffice.)

Thank you, Vince. I'll play with it sometime tomorrow, but I suspect that's exactly what I wanted. (Probably doesn't even deserve a plugin; a simple alias would suffice.)
I hope it works. FWIW, CHMOD seems to be built-into SFTP (client side); at least it is in my PSFTP (Putty) client.

Back