1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GetBinaryType (Updated)

Discussion in 'Plugins' started by Joe Caverly, May 18, 2014.

1. Joe Caverly

2. Joe Caverly

I have added the following variable functions to the plugin;

%@GIF87a[] - Image file encoded in the Graphics Interchange Format (GIF)
    %@GIF89a[] - Image file encoded in the Graphics Interchange Format (GIF)
    %@ICO[] - Computer icon encoded in ICO file format
    %@JPG[] - Joint Photographic Experts Group format
    %@RAR15[] - RAR archive version 1.50 onwards
    %@RAR50[] - RAR archive version 5.0 onwards
    %@PDF[] - Portable Document Format

Joe

https://sites.google.com/site/jlcprogrammingstuff/home/tcc/getbinarytype-plugin

3. Charles G

I would be interested in variable functions to test both music and video files, with these extensions:

3GP
    AMR
    ASF
    ASX
    AVI
    DIVX
    FLV
    M1V
    M4A
    M4V
    MID
    MKV
    MOD
    MOV
    MP2
    MP3
    MP4
    MPA
    MPE
    MPEG
    MPG
    MPGA
    OGG
    RA
    RAM
    RM
    SWF
    WAV
    WM
    WMA
    WMV

4. Steve Fabian

Charles, I think you just want to reinvent Lotus Magellan 2.0. I'd love to have to have someone do it, too. (I still use its basic features to this day.) I was hoping that V does it, but alas, nobody seems interested. And I can understand it, too. The number of file types is unexhaustible. Regardless, this thread has now far departed from the original issue, to wit, characteristics of executable files. Thatin itself is big enough a topic...

5. Charles G

Well Joe's post above mine - seems to be moving into non-executable files (like GIF) so I thought I'd toss mine in... LOL

6. Joe Caverly

Every file is a binary file, whether executable or not.

I am presently looking into identifying .MP4 files, but there are many versions of .MP4 files.

I'm using the same "magic numbers" that the Linux file.exe command uses to identify files.

The source code for the file.exe is available in a link from [http://darwinsys.com/file/] for those that "C" better than I do. For my plugin, I am just looking for the "magic numbers" in a file, to see if it is one of the .MP4 file formats, just like the file.exe command does.

There is also a library called libmagic, in which the functionality of file.exe is incorporated.

Mind you, it would also be easy to do the same thing in a .BTM file, but the plugin is probably a more convenient method for the end-user.

Joe