Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GetBinaryType (Updated)

I have added the following variable functions to the plugin;

%@GIF87a[] - Image file encoded in the Graphics Interchange Format (GIF)
%@GIF89a[] - Image file encoded in the Graphics Interchange Format (GIF)
%@ICO[] - Computer icon encoded in ICO file format
%@JPG[] - Joint Photographic Experts Group format
%@RAR15[] - RAR archive version 1.50 onwards
%@RAR50[] - RAR archive version 5.0 onwards
%@PDF[] - Portable Document Format

Joe

https://sites.google.com/site/jlcprogrammingstuff/home/tcc/getbinarytype-plugin

I would be interested in variable functions to test both music and video files, with these extensions:

3GP
AMR
ASF
ASX
AVI
DIVX
FLV
M1V
M4A
M4V
MID
MKV
MOD
MOV
MP2
MP3
MP4
MPA
MPE
MPEG
MPG
MPGA
OGG
RA
RAM
RM
SWF
WAV
WM
WMA
WMV

Charles, I think you just want to reinvent Lotus Magellan 2.0. I'd love to have to have someone do it, too. (I still use its basic features to this day.) I was hoping that V does it, but alas, nobody seems interested. And I can understand it, too. The number of file types is unexhaustible. Regardless, this thread has now far departed from the original issue, to wit, characteristics of executable files. Thatin itself is big enough a topic...

Well Joe's post above mine - seems to be moving into non-executable files (like GIF) so I thought I'd toss mine in... LOL

Every file is a binary file, whether executable or not.

I am presently looking into identifying .MP4 files, but there are many versions of .MP4 files.

I'm using the same "magic numbers" that the Linux file.exe command uses to identify files.

The source code for the file.exe is available in a link from [http://darwinsys.com/file/] for those that "C" better than I do. For my plugin, I am just looking for the "magic numbers" in a file, to see if it is one of the .MP4 file formats, just like the file.exe command does.

There is also a library called libmagic, in which the functionality of file.exe is incorporated.

Mind you, it would also be easy to do the same thing in a .BTM file, but the plugin is probably a more convenient method for the end-user.

Joe

Back