Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GLOBAL

May
Is there a way to make GLOBAL report errors **and** continue?

Doesn't /I do that for you? Assuming that the underlying command is set up for continuation in the face of errors...
No it doesn't. With "/i" the errors are not reported. With "/i" the error is reported and GLOBAL does not continue.
Code:
c:\> (global /i /q /h /n echo %_cwd) > v:\file1.txt

c:\> (global /q /h /n echo %_cwd) > v:\file2.txt
TCC: (Sys) Access is denied.
"C:\MSOCache"

c:\> dir /k /m v:\file*
2012-06-18  15:07      1,560,807  file1.txt
2012-06-18  15:07              97  file2.txt

I see what you mean. The error occurs when GLOBAL attempts to access a directory, BEFORE the attached command is attempted - the second paragraph describing /I, not the first. It behaved exactly as described. However, the desired behavior is to report errors to STDERR, and continue. I think it is a logical desire, but the documentation at least since 4nt5 describes the current behavior. You need to make the behavior you desire a suggestion for a future version...

I see what you mean. The error occurs when GLOBAL attempts to access a directory, BEFORE the attached command is attempted - the second paragraph describing /I, not the first. It behaved exactly as described. However, the desired behavior is to report errors to STDERR, and continue. I think it is a logical desire, but the documentation at least since 4nt5 describes the current behavior. You need to make the behavior you desire a suggestion for a future version...
Agreed. But it might be nice to see the error message and let GLOBAL continue. That way, you'll get all you could PLUS some indication of what you didn't get.