Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WAD HELP does not scroll with mousewheel

May
When the cursor is in a HELP page that will not fit on the screen (that's the vast majority of pages), older versions could be scrolled up or down using the mouse wheel. Recent versions won't. One needs to put the cursor on the scroll bar and hold down the left mouse button to be able to scroll. Much less convenient!

Not reproducible here; it scrolls as expected in both html help and browser help.

Are you referring to the tcmd.chm help file, or the browser-based help? If you're using tcmd.chm, the help program is Microsoft's (and AFAIK it hasn't changed in several years -- particularly if you're still running XP). If you're using the browser help, you should contact your browser developers.

I have the same problem with tcmd.chm not scrolling using the mouse wheel. It does scroll if I have my cursor over some content in the window, like a screenshot or over text (where cursor turns into an I-beam). It also scrolls if the cursor if over the vertical scroll bar, but if the cursor is over a blank background it will not scroll.

I have the same problem with tcmd.chm not scrolling using the mouse wheel. It does scroll if I have my cursor over some content in the window, like a screenshot or over text (where cursor turns into an I-beam). It also scrolls if the cursor if over the vertical scroll bar, but if the cursor is over a blank background it will not scroll.
I have exact the same behavior on my pc.

Edit 2012-04-18:
Today I ran into this issue again on my pc at work. I tried TCCx64, TCC/LEx32+x64 - all with different 13.03 + 13.04 versions. On my pc at work all CHMs have this mouse wheel problem. The pc has IE8 installed.

On my pc at home I could only try with TCC/LEx32+x64, but here I DO NOT have the problem. This pc has IE9 installed.

I see the behavior described in the .CHM for Take Command v13. I don't see it in the .CHM for Take Command v12. Something has changed -- probably when the new buttons and bread crumbs appeared.

(Incidentally, the scroll wheel does seem to work reliably if the mouse pointer is anywhere over the vertical scroll bar. The help page for DIR provides a good example of this behavior; it's long and has plenty of white space.)

I doubt the buttons & bread crumbs could have affected the mouse wheel;

Oh, I don't think so either. I think that the buttons and bread crumbs indicate some deeper change (a new version of Help & Manual?) If it were a simple choice between scroll wheel and bread crumbs, I'd pick the scroll wheel. But I suspect it's not that simple....

it's probably more specific to the mouse driver you're using.

I doubt that; I'm just using the vanilla Microsoft PS/2 driver.

Steve, Frank, JohnQ: What version of Windows are you running? Rex, have you tried it under XP?

Does it behave the same way with other .chm files?

Other .chm files seem to work fine. Also, when expanded, the navigation bookmarks in the .chm scroll fine no matter where the mouse is in the navigation frame.

Steve, Frank, JohnQ: What version of Windows are you running? Rex, have you tried it under XP?

I'm running XP Pro SP3.

Was just reading the .chm help file when I had an idea. When was this stuff added? It seems to act like a frame and might be causing the problem.

Clipboard01.jpg

I use WinXP SP3 home on my desktop, and pro on my laptop. Both behave the same. In V13 HELP when I first click on a long help page, the scroll wheel works no matter where on the page the mouse cursor is. After stopping, further scrolling does not move the HELP. It is the only .CHM file that behaves this way. On the laptop I have the 13.02 help file of 2011-12-17; scroll wheel works perfectly. I do not have other V13 tcmd.chm accessible at the moment (desktop is currently disassembled). As soon as I have access to the 13.03 help files I'll try to determine which is the first version that fails...

Today I ran into this issue again on my pc at work. I tried TCCx64, TCC/LEx32+x64 - all with different 13.03 + 13.04 versions. On my pc at work all CHMs have this mouse wheel problem. The pc has IE8 installed.

On my pc at home I could only try with TCC/LEx32+x64, but here I DO NOT have the problem. This pc has IE9 installed.

I don't even have a wheel, but with a little test app that uses SendInput(), I can confirm (on Win7/32/IE8) what a couple of others have observed ... that the wheel doesn't work in the text pane of v13's tcmd.chm if the mouse pointer is over the window background. I tried 17 other chm files (including previous tcmd.chms) and it worked correctly in all of them.

A similar (but briefer) test shows the same behavior on XP/SP3/IE7.