Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Documentation HELP issues

May
In a prior thread you explained the current version of the help build system under certain conditions reassigns hypertext links from their true destination to their own location. Apparently this happened to every single command option link I trued to use in the recent versions.

TPIPE command

/input=filename

Filename to read. This can be either a disk file, include file (@filename), or CLIP:. If it is not specified, TPIPE will read from standard input.

Shoudn't the emphasized phrase be include list?

Include files don't work.
Code:
v:\> type filelist.txt
avtemp.btm
factor.btm

v:\> tpipe /[email protected] /simple=6
TPIPE: The system cannot find the file specified.
"@filelist.txt"
But include lists, in general, don't work either. For example, a simple wildcard spec doesn't work.
Code:
v:\> tpipe /input=*.btm /simple=6
TPIPE: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
"*.btm"
In a brief test, a semicolon-separated list of actual filenames did work.

But include lists, in general, don't work either. For example, a simple wildcard spec doesn't work.

A wildcard isn't an include list. And TPIPE doesn't support wildcards (see the help). (The result of feeding wildcards to TPIPE would range from a moderately bad idea to catastrophic, depending on the operation requested.)

In a brief test, a semicolon-separated list of actual filenames did work.

No, it definitely won't.

My test was flawed.

Should TPIPE support include files (@filename)?

What's an include file?

Many programming languages have an "include" statement, in the body of a file, which causes the language processor to include the contents of the included file as if it were included in the file instead of the include statement. The processing of TCMD's .INI file follows this concept.

Indirect file is a very different concept, implemented in many TCC commands under the title "@FILE lists" (no explanation needed...). The only term used anywhere in HELP is @FILE list. If that's what is meant by include file, I suggest rewording HELP. If not, what is the explanation?

Great product, but HELP sometimes needs improvement...

The only term used anywhere in HELP is @FILE list. If that's what is meant by include file, I suggest rewording HELP. If not, what is the explanation?

I don't know what your point is here -- the help never mentions the words "include file" (certainly not in this context); it says "@File lists".

You want me to reword something in the help that isn't in the help??

I don't know what your point is here -- the help never mentions the words "include file" (certainly not in this context); it says "@File lists".

You want me to reword something in the help that isn't in the help??
To be fair to Steve, he did accurately quote the help.
Code:
/input=filename
Filename to read. This can be either a disk file, include file (@filename), or ...