Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hennie de Jager

Hi
I need some help setting up a DOS Command for Windows 10 to split a music folder containing 456 Opera songs for use on a USB stick in my Honda Civic 2012. The car's music system can only handle a maximum of 255 records in a folder, so it skips the rest. In the Windows folder all the 456 records are automatically sorted alphabetically for viewing, whereas the playing sequence in the actual DOS folder is quite different. For some reason I don't understand, quite a few of the .wma songs is rejected by the Civic's music system as "Not playable", so I need to first delete them from the USB stick, run it through MAGIX, which clears the problem, and then load them back on the stick. But I can only address the first 255! So I need to (cut) and move from records 256 to 456 to another folder. Can you please give me the exact DOS Command syntax to MOVE from OPERA-1 to OPERA-2

Thank-you

Last edited:
setting up a DOS Command
Are you using Microsoft's CMD or JPSoft's TCMD?
for Windows 10 to split a music folder containing 456 Opera songs
Sounds like this is a one-time operation. Using Windows Explorer, highlight 255 of them and then drag and drop them into OPERA-1 and then the rest into OPERA-2.
the playing sequence in the actual DOS folder is quite different
How is it different?
Can you please give me
What have you tried so far?

Thanks for your attention, John.

I am using Windows 10's DOS Command Administrator. As I said, when using Windows File Explorer, all the files are always displayed in alphabetical sequence (1-Z), probably to help you find something easily. When I use the DIR Command of DOS to look at the same folder, DOS is displaying the same files in quite a different sequence - not alphabetically at all, so I presume this is the actual sequence of the files, as this is the sequence the files are being played on the Civic's music system.

As I said, having split 1189 files in 7 folders by music type with File Explorer, I copied and pasted each folder to the USB Stick. When I listened to the folders in the Civic, I found quite a lot could not be played (music system's message "Not Playable"). So I listed the problem ones and then deleted them from the stick on my computer using Windows File Explorer. This was followed by reloading the deleted files from backup, after having fixed the reading problem with MAGIX.

The same process was used on the OPERA folder (456 files), when I got snagged on file number 256, when the music system just jumped to the next folder.

My problem now is that I cannot use Windows File Explorer to cut and paste 254 files to a new folder, because it displays the files alphabetically. I actually need something like Windows' cut-and-paste in the DOS Command to MOVE the last 202 files to a new folder OPERA-2, leaving 254 files in the OPERA-1 folder.

Long story. This comes to my request for someone with more knowledge of DOS, to see if you could syntax the MOVE Command to do just that. Or maybe solve the problem with a different solution.

Thank-you

Here's a strategy. Maybe someone will help you with it.
1. Using CMD, get a list of the files in OPERA-1 (possibly with DIR /B > myfiles.txt). They should be in the order you like.
2. Edit myfiles.txt so it only contains the names of the files you want to move.
3. Compose a "FOR /F" command that will process every line of output of the command "TYPE myfiles.txt". That FOR command might resemble this.
(no guarantees).
Code:
FOR /F "delims=" %i in ('type myfiles.txt') do move "%i" ..\OPERA-2\

Why not just a simple

FOR %line in (@myfiles.txt) move "%line" ..\OPERA-2\

Hi vefatica, Charles G and johnQSmith

I have tried Charles G's "FOR %line in (@myfiles.txt) move "%line" ..\OPERA-2\" suggestion, but it did'nt work, probably as vefatica said, I am only using the Windows DOS Prompt.

After trying many times with vefatica's " FOR /F "delims=" %i in ('type myfiles.txt') do move "%i" ..\OPERA-2\" solution, I eventually got it right. At first It MOVE'd ALL the records from OPERA-1 to OPERA-2, until I realised that I need to SAVE the edited Notepad back to the "myfiles.txt" in OPERA-1. Now I have the first 254 records in OPERA-1, with the last 202 records in OPERA-2, as I wanted it to be.

Thank-you very much for the assistance all of you gave me. Now I can continue the work on my USB stick.

Hennie de Jager (Wellington, South Africa)

Back