1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hex dump?

Discussion in 'Support' started by deleyd, Dec 30, 2011.

1. deleyd

Is there a DOS command that will do a hex dump of a file?

Something like Take Command's LIST /X

for people who don't have Take Command?

2. Steve Fabian

Don't ask here - it's like asking Rolls Royce if anybody else has a car as nice as theirs!

3. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

Not included with Windows. But there's hundreds of free & commercial products out there to do it; just google "Windows hex dump file".

BTW, the (new in v13) VIEW /X option is far superior to LIST /X.

4. epement

Not included with Windows? The DOS command debug is part of the default Windows install at %windir%\system32\debug.exe and it does primitive hex dumps via the "d" (dump) command. I do not know the command to dump an entire file, but I know that debug is scriptable ("debug <infile >outfile"), though there may be limits on filesize.

Interestingly, the version of debug.exe included with Windows 7 (and every version below that) is exactly the same code and file as the version included with MS-DOS 5.0! See http://thestarman.pcministry.com/asm/debug/debug.htm#NT

For an external, free command-line hex dump utility, I use xd, available with source code from http://xd.adoxa.cjb.net

5. Charles Dye

Charles Dye Super Moderator
    Staff Member

If it is indeed a DOS executable, then it won't be included with x64 Windows. 64-bit Windows no longer supports DOS binaries.

A third TCC option: TYPE /X, which can be used in a pipe -- it reads from stdin and writes to stdout.

6. TEA-Time

deleyd, the free TCC/LE available here has the LIST /X command. No Take Command necessary.

I don't have a debug.exe in my Windows 7 Pro... :confused:

That may explain it..?

7. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

It's not included in Windows 7 x64.