Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

History window wrong size, can't remember size change

Jun
I have two monitors, one in portrait mode, the other in landscape. When I open the command history window, it is about the size of my portrait monitor. Unfortunately, its displayed on my landscape monitor which means most of the window is clipped and of no use. If I manually resize the window, it will not use my custom size the next time it pops up, but creates the same mostly-off-screen window again.

Any trick to make the command history window usable in this situation?

Maybe not the best solution ... you could use

Code:
ConsolePopupWindows=Yes

ConsolePopupWindows are confined to the console. The placement and size settings are in characters relative to the console's client area.

Code:
PopupWinWidth
PopupWinHeight
PopupWinTop
PopupWinLeft

Have you tried running it elevated, and changing the window size that way?

When you manually change the size, it should be remembered immediately and after TCC is restarted. "ECHO %_ININAME" will tell you where your INI file is. This could be related to write permission in that folder.

Running as Administrator did not alter the problem. However I note my INI file was last modified in 2020, so maybe permission problem is the correct clue to follow. I'll poke around on that.

Interesting that the OPTION command seems able to update my INI file with no problem, so maybe that means there is no permission issue. I do specify a non-default INI file on the command-line via the Windows shortcut I use to start TCC. Let's see what happens if I eliminate that...

Started directly, TCC will use a INI file of "C:\ProgramData\JP Software\TCC 27\TCMD.INI" and any changes to the command history window will be retained correctly.

So, seems to have something to do with using a custom INI file location.

What version of TCC do you run. If I recall correctly, quite a few versions back, TCC put the INI file in a less_than_ideal place.

@vefatica - I'm using v25 as i'm still on Windows7. the CHM says (;locating the TCMD.INI)

Take Command Initialization (.INI) Files

Locating the TCMD.INI File

When starting Take Command or a Take Command Console (TCC) shell:

Onestep
If there is an @d:\path\inifile option on the startup command line, Take Command will use the path and file name specified there.

Onestep
Otherwise, the default TCMD.INI file name is used, and the search starts in the directory where the Take Command program file is stored. If the .INI file is not found, Take Command will look in the "%PROGRAMDATA%\JP Software\Take Command 21" directory, and finally in the %LOCALAPPDATA% directory.

TCC 27.00.18 x64 Windows 10 [Version 10.0.19041.985]

Can anybody else on version 27 confirm that command history window size will not be written to the INI file if you gave it a custom INI on the command-line when starting TCC?

Can anybody else on version 27 confirm that command history window size will not be written to the INI file if you gave it a custom INI on the command-line when starting TCC?
If that's the case, it may be by design ... TCC thinking "this is a special-purpose INI file; don't mess with it".

I tried to confirm that but could not. I copied my INI file to v:\, started d:\tc27\tcc.exe @v:\tcmd.ini, changed the foreground from yellow to white, exited, and checked the INI file. The change was saved.

> If that's the case, it may be by design ... TCC thinking "this is a special-purpose INI file; don't mess with it".

Anything's possible, but that would be incompatible with the fact that I can use the OPTION command to make lots of other changes to the same INI file.

> changed the foreground from yellow to white

Right -- I can get TCC to make a variety of changes to the INI file as well. What I can't do is get TCC to write the specific parameter of PopupWinHeight in the section [4NT] when the INI file was specified on the command line. Do you see that parameter updated in your command-line-specified INI file when you PgUp to open the command history, change the window height, then hit escape to close it?

Seems the problem might have resolved by erasing the INI file. I migrated from an ancient version of 4NT and maybe some change in what's expected in that file caused bad behavior. In any case, TCC no longer has a mysterious inability to store that particular directive (PopupWinHeight) in the INI file. Now I just have to reproduce all the customizations I had made there.