How can I run tcmd in terminal window only?

  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
#2
Run TCC instead of TCMD. TCMD is only the GUI, which may contain CMD or TCC
or other console (and some GUI) apps inside.

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 10:41, larryalk <> wrote:


> I'm an old 4dos user and would prefer to run tcmd in a terminal window
> only, not in the gui.
>
> How can I do that?
>
> Larry Alkoff
>
>
>
>
>


--
Jim Cook
2010 Sundays: 4/4, 6/6, 8/8, 10/10, 12/12 and 5/9, 9/5, 7/11, 11/7.
Next year they're Monday.
 
#3
----- Original Message -----
From: larryalk
To: ESFabian@comcast.net
Sent: Saturday, 2010. December 11. 13:41
Subject: [Support-t-2479] How can I run tcmd in terminal window only?


|I'm an old 4dos user and would prefer to run tcmd in |a terminal window only, not in the gui.
|
|How can I do that?

By running TCC.EXE only, which is the direct successor of 4NT.EXE. Startup command line is (as just about anything) a superset of the 4NT startup.
--
HTH, Steve
 
#4
Run TCC.EXE which will be found in the same directory as TCMD.EXE.

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 13:41:11 -0500, larryalk <> wrote:

|I'm an old 4dos user and would prefer to run tcmd in a terminal window only, not in the gui.
|
|How can I do that?
|
|Larry Alkoff
 
D

drrob1

Guest
#5
tcc.exe is the current name for what was 4nt. Use tcc.

However, I've found that tcc can be made wider only if attached to tcmd
and there is really no downside to using tcmd.

Unless you are really looking for tccle

On 12/11/2010 01:41 PM, larryalk wrote:

> I'm an old 4dos user and would prefer to run tcmd in a terminal window only, not in the gui.
>
> How can I do that?
>
> Larry Alkoff
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,101
85
#6
> I'm an old 4dos user and would prefer to run tcmd in a terminal window
only,

> not in the gui.
Run TCC.EXE, which is the console command processor. (Take Command is the
GUI wrapper for console sessions; you cannot run it in a console window.)

TCC.EXE is the replacement for 4NT.EXE, which was the replacement for 4DOS.

Rex Conn
JP Software
 
Jul 18, 2009
30
0
#7
Run TCC.EXE, which is the console command processor. (Take Command is the
GUI wrapper for console sessions; you cannot run it in a console window.)

TCC.EXE is the replacement for 4NT.EXE, which was the replacement for 4DOS.

Rex Conn
JP Software[/QUOTE]

Hello Rex.

I have tried running tcc32.exe in a Windows Explorer window but it flashes briefly but does not load.
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit version.

I also created a shortcut using the command
c:\tsepro\tee32.exe
Note I used tee32.exe because there is no tcc32.exe does not exist in my c:\tsepro window.

Could tcc.exe be somewhere else?
I'm much more used to Linux and my Windows skills are very rusty. Is there a which command in Windows?

Larry
 
Jul 18, 2009
30
0
#8
only,



Run TCC.EXE, which is the console command processor. (Take Command is the
GUI wrapper for console sessions; you cannot run it in a console window.)

TCC.EXE is the replacement for 4NT.EXE, which was the replacement for 4DOS.

Rex Conn
JP Software

Hello again Rex.

I finally found tcc.exe under Program Files.
Help runs and it looks just the old 4NT.

Later I'll move it to something akin to a \bin directory if Windows still has that.

I decided to only use the tcc.exe because TSEPro consistantly crashes after a short period of inactivity. I really hope that gets fixed.

Larry
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,101
85
#9
I have tried running tcc32.exe in a Windows Explorer window but it flashes briefly but does not load.
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit version.

I also created a shortcut using the command
c:\tsepro\tee32.exe
Note I used tee32.exe because there is no tcc32.exe does not exist in my c:\tsepro window.

Could tcc.exe be somewhere else?
I'm much more used to Linux and my Windows skills are very rusty. Is there a which command in Windows?
There is no program named "tcc32.exe"; it's just "tcc.exe".

TCC.EXE is the same name whether it's the x64 version or the 32-bit version. You will find it in your Take Command installation directory.
 

Charles Dye

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 20, 2008
3,385
39
Albuquerque, NM
prospero.unm.edu
#10
However, I've found that tcc can be made wider only if attached to tcmd and there is really no downside to using tcmd.
You can set the console size for TCC the same way you would for CMD: Control menu, Properties, Layout. The width and height items under "Screen Buffer Size" control the entire (scrollable) buffer; the width and height under "Window Size" control the visible viewport. Typically you'll want the same width for both, but a much greater height for the window than for the screen buffer.
 
#11
----- Original Message -----
From: Charles Dye
Quote:
| Originally Posted by drrob1
| However, I've found that tcc can be made wider only if attached to tcmd |
| and there is really no downside to using tcmd.

You can set the console size for TCC the same way you would for CMD: Control
menu, Properties, Layout. The width and height items under "Screen Buffer
Size" control the entire (scrollable) buffer; the width and height under
"Window Size" control the visible viewport. Typically you'll want the same
width for both, but a much greater height for the window than for the screen
buffer.
---- end of message ----
Oops, I think you meant that the screen buffer should have much greater
height than the window size, it cannot be less. Mine is typically:
window size 142 wide x 57 high
screen buffer 142 wide x 3000 high
--
Steve
 
D

drrob1

Guest
#13
Thanks, that helps.

But I am confused when you say that typically I'd want the same width
for both, but a much greater height for the window than for the screen
buffer. By looking at that setting now, I see Screen Buffer Size Height
is 5000, and Window Size Height is 77.

Doesn't that mean that my window height is smaller than my screen buffer
height.

???

--rob
 

Charles Dye

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 20, 2008
3,385
39
Albuquerque, NM
prospero.unm.edu
#14
Thanks, that helps.

But I am confused when you say that typically I'd want the same width
for both, but a much greater height for the window than for the screen
buffer. By looking at that setting now, I see Screen Buffer Size Height
is 5000, and Window Size Height is 77.

Doesn't that mean that my window height is smaller than my screen buffer
height.
You're right. As Steve also pointed out, I bungled that sentence.