Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How do I make the selections in the option menu sticky?

This happens every time there is a new version. I set up things in the option menu, tell it to apply them, and then log out of tcc. The next time I log in, the options are gone and it has gone back to the defaults. HELP!!!

Where are you putting your TCMD.INI? If it's in one of the directories that Windows won't let you write to (unless you're in an elevated session), like:

c:\
c:\program files\<any directory>

then that's the expected behavior. TCMD / TCC will default to putting TCMD.INI in "c:\programdata\jp software\take command 20.0", which (unless you've write protected the directory, or you have some third-party app blocking writes) should be OK.

The file is in c:\programdata\JP Software\Take Command x64 20.0. I can write the file with my text editor But changes I make in the option menu do not seem to always make it to the TCMD.INI file. For instance if I set the path for the file search tree to c:\4nt6, where TCMD is located, the entry in the TCMD.INI file stubbornly remains at TreePath=C:\Users\New\AppData\Local\JPSoft\, though a CDD/S actually puts the tree file in c:\4nt6. This is the area where I am having the most problems, directory searches. I do have eveything search turned off as that gave me problems in the past.

Harvey

How are you invoking the OPTION dialog? If you select it from TCMD via the menu option, it uses the TCMD.INI that TCMD is using, which may or may not be the same one that TCC is using.

Try running OPTION in TCC and see if that persists the settings. If so, you've got mismatched TCMD.INI's.

I never use TCMD; only TCC. I call OPTION from the TCC command line. And the problem continues. Every time I instantiate a new instance of TCC I have to call up the OPTION dialog and set my settings for that TCC instance alone. They remain for that TCC instance only but once I exit the instance they are gone. I generally keep four instances open, but that means setting my choices four times, which is a PAIN!!!!!!!

Harvey

Are you running TCC elevated? If not, does running elevated make it work as expected?

Why not just
echo %_ININAME

to tell where the file being used is actually located....??

>> _ININAME returns the fully qualified pathname of the INI file used by the current shell.

Why not just
echo %_ININAME

>> _ININAME returns the fully qualified pathname of the INI file used by the current shell.
I'd expect OPTION to edit the file returned by _ININAME and the same file to be used the next time TCC is started. Isn't that how it works? Would OPTION give an error message if the file could not be written?

Are you running TCC elevated? If not, does running elevated make it work as expected?
Do you mean "Run as Administrator"? Yes, I have been running TCC as administrator for many years. I have an icon on the desktop for TCC and when I double-click it, it brings up a dialog box asking me "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device". The dialog box changed quite a bit with the anniversary upgrade to Win10.Harvey

Why not just
echo %_ININAME

>> _ININAME returns the fully qualified pathname of the INI file used by the current shell.[/QUOTE

That returns C:\ProgramData\JP Software\Take Command 20.0\TCMD.INI, except that there is no such directory or file!!!!! What I actually have is
C:\ProgramData\JP Software\Take Command 20.0 x64\TCMD.INI. OOPS!!!!!!!!!

Harvey

Yes, THIS problem of persistent settings seems to be resolved but the installer
is still broken. Option/u still gives me a nastygram about an Invalid client
configuration file. What might be the name of that file?

Harvey

Can you post the exact message you are getting? Screen shot maybe?

Can you post the exact message you are getting? Screen shot maybe?
Here's the screen shot...

Harvey
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.08.24_15h38m03s_002_.png

Do you recall how you got the initial install? First what version is already installed? And was it the TCMD.EXE or the MSI installer? What version of windows too please. To tell the answer for what version of Windows - right click on My Computer and select Properties and it should show there.

Here's another little mystery. While looking for an AIU file, I came across TCMD32.INI. Here's the whole file:
Code:
[TakeCommand]
ToolBarOn=Yes
StatusBarOn=Yes
[Frame]
left=75
top=75
right=1035
bottom=800
I found it in c:\users\vefatica\appdata\local\jpsoft. It was created 6/14/2016 and modified 8/18/2016. Does anyone know what that file is all about? It even has an odd name! The only other thing in that directory is an empty TCC.log, created and modified 6/14/2015

Do you recall how you got the initial install? First what version is already installed? And was it the TCMD.EXE or the MSI installer? What version of windows too please. To tell the answer for what version of Windows - right click on My Computer and select Properties and it should show there.

The installer has not worked for me with Version 20. I installed by unpacking the file and then moving things to the execution directories. This was on direction from Rex. Per Ver/r I am running Windows 10 Build 14393, which I believe is the very latest. I am currently running TCMD 20.15 and the previous thing was 19.64. But I only run TCC.

Harvey

Here's another little mystery. While looking for an AIU file, I came across TCMD32.INI. Here's the whole file:
Code:
[TakeCommand]
ToolBarOn=Yes
StatusBarOn=Yes
[Frame]
left=75
top=75
right=1035
bottom=800
I found it in c:\users\vefatica\appdata\local\jpsoft. It was created 6/14/2016 and modified 8/18/2016. Does anyone know what that file is all about? It even has an odd name! The only other thing in that directory is an empty TCC.log, created and modified 6/14/2015

I think the file is used by take command v3 - I just googled "TCMD32.INI" and looked at some of the hits.

The installer has not worked for me with Version 20. I installed by unpacking the file and then moving things to the execution directories. This was on direction from Rex. Per Ver/r I am running Windows 10 Build 14393, which I believe is the very latest. I am currently running TCMD 20.15 and the previous thing was 19.64. But I only run TCC.

Harvey

Have you tried the MSI installer?

I think the file is used by take command v3 - I just googled "TCMD32.INI" and looked at some of the hits.
I can only go back to v802. Yesterday I did
Code:
do f in *.exe;*.dll ( echo %f & strings %f | grep -i TCMD32 )
in every TC folder going back to v11. I found nothing. But I didn't go far enough. In the TC802 folder I found the string, and when I started TC802, that file was written. So, mystery solved! Thanks, Charles.

I can only go back to v802. Yesterday I did
Code:
do f in *.exe;*.dll ( echo %f & strings %f | grep -i TCMD32 )
in every TC folder going back to v11. I found nothing. But I didn't go far enough. In the TC802 folder I found the string, and when I started TC802, that file was written. So, mystery solved! Thanks, Charles.

What is the "strings" program you mention above?