Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to handle folders with special characters in their names

Oct
Hello,

I have a personalized CleanUp TCC script that removed Dump files and other leftovers; it works pretty well 99.99% of the time. However, eventually, Malwarebytes creates a Dump file (.dmp) in a directory named C:\Windows\%LOCALAPPDATA% (literally), and the script fails to delete the file(s) in it because after expanding %LOCALAPPDATA% the directory name becomes C:\Windows\C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local, which is obviously invalid.
I tried fooling around with SETDOS options, but if I disable expansion, other variables don't get expanded as they should. Am I missing something obvious?

I am almost positive this might have happened to other people as well; therefore I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Here the snippet of the code I use:

C:\Everything\es.exe -s -path C:\ -export-txt %PurgeList% *.dmp

For %File In (@%PurgeList%) Do (
Echo ``
Dir /ghkm "%File"
Pause /w300 /c Press any key to delete the file %File% or Ctrl-C to abort...
Del /efyz "%File"
)

Where the file in %PurgeList% contains the names of all the Dump files in the disk.

Any help is sincerely appreciated.

A terrible filename; the programmer responsible deserves strappado.

SETDOS /X-4 might be helpful here.

Charles, I agree 100% with your statement. I have already complained with Malwarebytes about the bad filename choice.

I will try SETDOS /x-4 right now.

Thanks so much.

Back