Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to load Tcmd into my private user directory?

Jul
I haven't used windows for years and now have tcmd (instead of 4nt).

I'm using both Windows NT and 7.

I wish to have my own private directory to install programs in my User directory. To that end I created c:\Documents and Settings\user\dl
to keep my downloads in and a similiar \user\pf for my personal program files.
It would make it much easier to have a directory not mixed in with standard Windows files.

So I started with user\dl\tcmd and asked XP to browse to the user\pf directory but for some reason XP will not allow me to browse to the user\pf directory for the install.

Can this be fixed or is Windows XP gping to insist that I use the default Program Files directory?

Thanks for any help.
Larry

So I started with user\dl\tcmd and asked XP to browse to the user\pf directory but for some reason XP will not allow me to browse to the user\pf directory for the install.

Can this be fixed or is Windows XP gping to insist that I use the default Program Files directory?

You can install wherever you like. I have never installed to the default Program Files location.

I'm not sure what you mean by "XP will not allow me to browse to the user\pf directory" -- you can't open it in Explorer? I suppose that might be a permissions issue; do you get an error message?

You can install wherever you like. I have never installed to the default Program Files location.

I'm not sure what you mean by "XP will not allow me to browse to the user\pf directory" -- you can't open it in Explorer? I suppose that might be a permissions issue; do you get an error message?

For some reason XP was not showing me the user\pf directory when I tried to browse to it. I found a work-around by simply typing in the path to my desired directory.

Larry