Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

how to make TCC default/replace cmd.exe?

Apr
sorry maybe this has been asked already, I have both TC and TCC and am not sure which one is best suited for replacing the default windows10 cmd.exe command window.....any ideas?

TCC is the one you want. It's a console application (like CMD) with nearly perfect compatibility and vastly greater capabilities.

TC, on the other hand, doesn't, on its own, do anything that CMD or TCC does. TC provides a GUI environment for running, in a tabbed interface. apps like CMD and TCC.

thanks that helps...but i still cant figure out which setting takes away the default cmd.exe as default command line and replace with tcc.exe....so far when i call out a .cmd file it still pops up in cmd.exe

thanks that helps...but i still cant figure out which setting takes away the default cmd.exe as default command line and replace with tcc.exe....so far when i call out a .cmd file it still pops up in cmd.exe
In TCC's install directory, you should find TCCBATCH.BTM. If you run it in TCC, it will give you the opportunity to set TCC as the default handler for any combination of .BAT, .BTM, and .CMD.

I am a many-year fan of TCC and its predecessors. And I see no need for it to replace CMD. I have never made it the handler for .BAT and .CMD files. When I write a batch script, I name it with .BTM, knowing that TCC will handle it. Here, unless I'm testing something, .BAT and .CMD files were written by someone else (usually Microsoft) expecting them to be run under CMD. Since CMD is rather lame, it has several esoteric and/or undocumented behaviors and programming techniques that batch file authors capitalize on to get it to do things. While TCC is nearly 100% compatible, it's not perfect and occasionally (very seldom) differences in behavior between TCC and CMD arise.

I am a many-year fan of TCC and its predecessors. And I see no need for it to replace CMD. I have never made it the handler for .BAT and .CMD files. When I write a batch script, I name it with .BTM, knowing that TCC will handle it.
Well said.

Don't do that. Don't even think about doing that.
You're not the first one to make this mistake, and you won't be the first one to hit all the issues associated with it.

ok am confused...so i have to deal with the old plain cmd.exe when launching my files? i thought this was a cmd.exe replacement, help me understand, sorry just new at this

so i have to deal with the old plain cmd.exe when launching my files?

What files ... *.BAT, *.CMD? Presumably you wrote them for CMD!

If you want TCC to run them when you 2-click them in Explorer, then start TCC elevated, run the file I mentioned, TCCBATCH.BTM, and answer N Y Y Y to these questions.
Code:
Do you want to make CMD the default handler for .BAT and .CMD files [Y/N] ?
Do you want to make TCC the default handler for .BAT files [Y/N] ?
Do you want to make TCC the default handler for .BTM files [Y/N] ?
Do you want to make TCC the default handler for .CMD files [Y/N] ?

The problem is that TCC doesn't reproduce every cmd bug, so a bat file written for cmd may not work in TCC. It is simpler to let cmd run *.bat and *.cmd files (which you may get from third parties) and let TCC run *.btm files that you write to work with TCC.