Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

incompatibility of tcmd 30 and vim9

Jan
Back in 2019, I reported that tcc while attached to tcmd makes Vim unusable. The cursor position and location of where characters are inserted are not the same.

That seemed to have been fixed for a while, but that bug is back.

tcc while attached to tcmd in version 30. Vim9 console mode is not usable. I have v 30 build 18

When I revert to tcmd/tcc 29 build 17, I do not see this problem w/ vim.

This is under Win 10 22H2

I don't see any problems here, using TCC version 30 with Windows Terminal. I stopped using TCMD in favor of Windows Terminal, and I almost never use VIM anymore, preferring GVIM. But I tested, and it works anyway. After exiting VIM, the terminal window is screwy, and nothing seems to fix that except closing that window. I see the same behavior with CMD and VIM in a Windows Terminal. Tried using conhost with both TCC and CMD -- when VIM exits, he tries to clear the screen AND resize the window. This works with conhost, does not work with windows terminal, resulting in a confusing situation.

You might want to look at your _vimrc or your mswin.vim and play with the settings for lines and columns.

ON EDIT:

Which versions of windows, windows terminal and vim are you using?
I reported that bug 2 years ago and it was fixed.

Back in 2019, I reported that tcc while attached to tcmd makes Vim unusable. The cursor position and location of where characters are inserted are not the same.

That seemed to have been fixed for a while, but that bug is back.

tcc while attached to tcmd in version 30. Vim9 console mode is not usable. I have v 30 build 18

When I revert to tcmd/tcc 29 build 17, I do not see this problem w/ vim.

This is under Win 10 22H2

Nothing changed between v29 and v30 in the tab window drawing code, so this is likely a configuration / environment difference between your versions.

I have observed in the past that Vim doesn't like non-standard window sizes.

I have observed that the problem doesn't occur when I use the version of VIM included with Cygwin. But that may be because I don't have a .vimrc file, of any sort, associated with that version. I could experiment, but in reality I don't care enough to go to the trouble. 99.9% of the time I am using GVIM or Notepad++, my use of VIM is very limited.

I've been away.

I fixed the issue by making the windows smaller.

Yes, vim really really really does not like large non-standard window sizes.

Bram posted this; I'm reposting it here because it may be helpful for improving the compatibility btwn take command and vim:

Vim uses libvterm, a "virtual" terminal that is build into Vim. On
MS-Windows it uses ConPTY or WinPTY. libvterm resembles an xterm and
many programs can work with it.

We can try to make it work. For some terminals we may require the
maintainers to make changes. I suppose there is no standard way for
handling size changes, like SIGWINCH on Unix. If there is a terminal
that does this well we can suggest to use it as an example, hopefully we
can then avoid every terminal doing something different.
In the help we can list terminals we know and what works for each of
them. That can function as a recommendation. It will take some effort
to keep up-to-date, but it's worth it.

I'm sure Microsoft will not fix *all* their issues, but the team working
on the Windows Terminal has been responsive. I hope at least one of
them is using Vim and fixes any encountered problems. That's why Vim
works well in the Chrome secure shell .