1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Incompatibility with cmd.exe dir command

Discussion in 'TCC/LE Support' started by chris_overseas, Jul 20, 2014.

1. chris_overseas

I'm using TCC/LE x64 13.06.

When I run the following command in a normal cmd.exe window, I get a list of just the paths that end with a directory called ".hg":

dir /s /b /a:d .hg

When I run it on TCC/LE however, I get a list of all additional subdirectories within the .hg directories too. Is this a known incompatibility? Is there a command I can use that gives me the same output as cmd.exe does (i.e. without the additional subdirectories), and is compatible with both shells?

2. Charles Dye

Charles Dye Super Moderator
    Staff Member

If your filename does not contain any wildcards, and if it exactly matches the name of a subdirectory, then DIR assumes you want to list that subdirectory's contents and not the name of the subdirectory itself. As far as I know this is deliberate behavior, but only Rex would know for sure.

You can construct a wildspec which will only match subdirectories named .HG easily enough:

DIR /S /B /A:D .H[G]

No, this syntax is not compatible with Microsoft's shell.

(Is anyone else here having difficulty replying to posts via the rich-text editor?)

3. vefatica

I always use it and I haven't noticed anything odd. What's the problem?

4. Charles Dye

Charles Dye Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't even get an edit window when that option is turned on, in either Chrome or Firefox. Maybe it's just this computer. Will try at work tomorrow.