Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Installer

Jan
I thought I noticed this during the last couple of updates, but verified with the last 15.00.31 update. On 32 bit XP SP3, the installer is adding a Quick Launch bar shortcut even though the option is not selected.

Wasn't doing it in 14.

In Win7, I don't even see an option to create a quick-launch (pinned?) shortcut. In fact an upgrade removes my pinned shortcut (didn't do that in the past).

In Win7, I don't even see an option to create a quick-launch (pinned?) shortcut. In fact an upgrade removes my pinned shortcut (didn't do that in the past).
Yes it did. It has always done that for me. You must be doing something differently now. As I mentioned in another thread, the shortcut doesn't get deleted. But it somehow gets invalidated. So the icon becomes a white square. If I run TCMD from the installer, that shortcut gets highlighted to show the process is active, however the icon is not valid. I have to right-click, unpin, and then re-pin, and it's back. If I attempt to launch TCMD from the invalid shortcut, Windows complains and deletes the shortcut.

The QuickLaunch toolbar is not the same as a pinned shortcut. There is no QuickLaunch toolbar in Win7.

15.00.32 still adding shortcut to Quick Launch toolbar.

15.00.34 still adding shortcut with the box unchecked.

??? That thread doesn't have anything to do with the quick-launch shortcut.

And I never blamed the user; I've repeatedly said that the problem is with the Windows Installer. For most people it always did that on every previous version; apparently for you it inexplicably worked for a brief time with v14 (though nothing changed in the installer code).

??? That thread doesn't have anything to do with the quick-launch shortcut.
It doesn't have anything to do with the quick-launch, but it does have to do with not remembering the name of the installed path. This was part of the installer that you said you had no control over, yet you changed some setting in the installer and now it remembers the previous installation path.

Edit: It's probably not that big of a deal though. I can probably add to my TCSTART a line that will delete the quick-launch shortcut manually like I do the with the non-English languages.

It doesn't have anything to do with the quick-launch, but it does have to do with not remembering the name of the installed path. This was part of the installer that you said you had no control over, yet you changed some setting in the installer and now it remembers the previous installation path.

Edit: It's probably not that big of a deal though. I can probably add to my TCSTART a line that will delete the quick-launch shortcut manually like I do the with the non-English languages.

Not exactly -- what I said in that thread was that I had to annoy either one set of users or the other. I changed the behavior of the installer (to always overwrite the existing minor version), which pleased the users who didn't want to have to select their installation directory from the combo box. And angered the users who wanted to keep each minor version -- admittedly a smaller (but noisy) group.