Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Installers

May
Is it possible to reduce the default priority of the installers? They hog my machine!

Also, please RETAIN the FTP site - how else could one update TCC/LE without actually starting it?
--
Steve

Is it possible to reduce the default priority of the installers? They hog my machine!

Also, please RETAIN the FTP site - how else could one update TCC/LE without actually starting it?
--
Steve

Run Process Explorer by Mark Russinovich (Process Explorer). This has the ability to change the priority of running processes and a million other useful things.

ObDisclaimer: I am not affiliated with Process Explorer, its developers, nor its owners in any way; I'm just a very satisfied user.

| Originally Posted by Steve Fabian
| Is it possible to reduce the default priority of the installers? They
| hog my machine!

Please quote only what you respond to, andesp. do not quote the signature - ALL of your response was eaten by the signature-removal software!

I am familiar with Process Explorer, and there is (at least in WinXP) the simple Task Manager, and TCC's PRIORITY command itself - all of them can do it, but they all operate "after the fact", and must get enough priority after the installer started to actually do it. OTOH the process itself could reduce its own priority, and will always have enough priority to do it!

Since I normally start the installer from a TCC instance, I will try using the START command with the /BELOWNORMAL option next time. But it is still a PITA compared with the installer doing it automatically.
--
Steve

> Is it possible to reduce the default priority of the installers? They hog
> my machine!

Talk to Microsoft -- the installer is their program, and Windows is setting
the priority.

> Also, please RETAIN the FTP site - how else could one update TCC/LE
> without actually starting it?

IMHO that's far from a compelling argument ...

Back