Declined Inverting @FILEARRAY

May 20, 2008
Elkridge, MD, USA
Arrays provide many nice features. However, at this time we have no simple method to write the contents of an array into a file. Accordingly, I propose the function
@ARRAYFILE[arrayname,filename[,w|a[,n]]]
which would write the contents of arrayname into filename. The optional arguments would be interpreted thus:
w write (or overwrite)
a append
n write n elements instead of all elements if n is less than the number of elements
--
Steve

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
Arrays provide many nice features. However, at this time we have no simple method to write the contents of an array into a file. Accordingly, I propose the function
which would write the contents of arrayname into filename. The optional arguments would be interpreted thus:
w write (or overwrite)
a append
n write n elements instead of all elements if n is less than the number of elements
--
Steve
How would that work with multidimensional arrays?

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
> In a more generic direction: It might be nice if plugins had some
interface to

> read and write array variables -- beyond calling Set_Cmd(),
ExpandVariables()

There is no other interface to the array variables -- that's the same thing
that internal commands use.

Why do plugins need a special interface?

Rex Conn
JP Software

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 23:21:40 -0400, rconn <> wrote:

|Why do plugins need a special interface?

I'm not saying plugins need a special interface, but it's precisely
ExpandVariables() that makes getting an array into a file difficult. It's easy
to get a file into an array regardless of what characters might be in it, but if
you try to get an array back into a file, say with @FILEWRITE or @FILEWRITEB,
you get errors on references to variables and variable functions ... requiring
SETDOS /X-4 (perhaps more) ... just an extra gyration for the user.

Charles Dye

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 20, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
prospero.unm.edu
There is no other interface to the array variables -- that's the same thing that internal commands use.
I guess I was assuming you had some internal call which returned a pointer to a given element.

Why do plugins need a special interface?
Special characters / recursive expansion is one difficulty. It also seems like a fairly complicated (slow) mechanism for doing complicated, repetitive tasks like searching or sorting. But if I'm asking for something which you yourself don't have, then never mind.

How about a tweak to ExpandVariables(): If fRecurse is some magic value, say -999, then no recursive expansion is done, and no alias expansion for the first arg?

May 20, 2008
Elkridge, MD, USA
----- Original Message -----
To: ESFabian@comcast.net
Sent: Thursday, 2010. October 7. 07:44
Subject: RE: [Suggestions-t-2345] Re: Inverting @FILEARRAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F�bi�n
w write (or overwrite)
a append
--
Steve

How would that work with multidimensional arrays?

It need not, the same way as @filearray and @execarray are restricted to one-dimensional arrays.
--
Steve