Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Is it possible to send a line from the "command input" window to the tab without pressing "Enter", w

Apr
Hello -

I was wondering if it's possible to send the current line in the Command Input window to the current tab for execution - but *without* pressing the Enter key, which has the side effect of placing a newline in the Command Input window, in addition to sending the current line to the tab.

This would make it possible to save frequently-used commands in the Command Input window and reuse them simply by sending them to the tab for execution, but without adding (and then having to remove) newlines every time.

As a secondary question, is it possible to disable having "Enter" send the current line in the Command Input window to the tab, so that it's possible to use the Command Input area as a scratch area where you're free to create many ill-formed lines as you build up commands you plan to execute later, pressing Enter during the course of this scratch-work without fear that the current line will be sent down to the open tab?

Thanks,
Dan.

Hello -

I was wondering if it's possible to send the current line in the Command Input window to the current tab for execution - but *without* pressing the Enter key, which has the side effect of placing a newline in the Command Input window, in addition to sending the current line to the tab.

No.

This would make it possible to save frequently-used commands in the Command Input window and reuse them simply by sending them to the tab for execution, but without adding (and then having to remove) newlines every time.

You can reuse previous commands by moving the cursor to the line in the Command Input window and pressing Enter.

I don't know why you're trying to avoid the newlines -- are you trying to put multiple commands on one line and only execute part of it?

As a secondary question, is it possible to disable having "Enter" send the current line in the Command Input window to the tab, so that it's possible to use the Command Input area as a scratch area where you're free to create many ill-formed lines as you build up commands you plan to execute later, pressing Enter during the course of this scratch-work without fear that the current line will be sent down to the open tab?

No, but you could use the IDE window for that.

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 19:50:50 -0400, rconn <> wrote:

|You can reuse previous commands by moving the cursor to the line in the Command Input window and pressing Enter.
|
|I don't know why you're trying to avoid the newlines

Doing that inserts a newline in the command input window and makes a mess of it.
I had that gripe long ago when first tried the command input window but not
being a regular user of TCMD I didn't complain about it.

It's even worse if you press [Enter] when the cursor is in the middle of a line
in the CIW; it executes the whole line and inserts a newline wherever the cursor
was. Better might be (haven't thought it out) only insert the newline if the
insertion point is at the end of a line (else just execute the line).

Thanks for the replies -

I fully agree with vefatica. It seems somehow obvious to me why you don't want a newline to be entered just because you wanted to reuse a command. I have been reusing commands frequently, and I'm just in the habit of pressing "backspace" to remove the newline that is entered whenever I want to reuse a command.

Wouldn't most users be annoyed by this? Why not have a separate hotkey available to actually just reuse the command on the line, without having a newline forced into your life?

:)

Thanks,
Dan.

I agree.

This is the main reason I don't use the "command input" window.

Instead I rely on the old and familiar "history recall" functionality, even if "command input" could potentially be more efficient and comfortable sometimes.