"L" attribute

#1
Folks,

I was doing an "ATTRIB(UTE)" command on the directories in a directory tree ("/D" option) to set the "R(ead-only)" attribute (because I want both the directory structure and the files in the directories to be relatively permanent, I set the "R" attribute on all of the files in the directories also). No problems there, but I noticed that a small number of the directories had an "L" attribute set. I've searched the JPSoft documentation and the web, and have not been able to determine what the "L" attribute is. (I don't quite know how to search for the letter "L".) At any rate, a fairly simple question: can anybody tell me what this attribute is/means? While I doubt if it is anything harmful, I'd still like to know.

- Dan Mathews
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,627
97
#3
> I was doing an "ATTRIB(UTE)" command on the directories in a directory
> tree ("/D" option) to set the "R(ead-only)" attribute (because I want
> both the directory structure and the files in the directories to be
> relatively permanent, I set the "R" attribute on all of the files in
> the directories also). No problems there, but I noticed that a small
> number of the directories had an "L" attribute set. I've searched the
> JPSoft documentation and the web, and have not been able to determine
> what the "L" attribute is
See "Attribute Switches" in the help.

Rex Conn
JP Software
 
#4
>
> > JPSoft documentation and the web, and have not been able to determine
> > what the "L" attribute is
> ---End Quote---
> See "Attribute Switches" in the help.
>
>
The help for DIR still claims the attribute is 'J' in the /T section.

Is there any way to see the FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DEVICE or FILE_ATTRIBUTE_VIRTUAL
attributes displayed in DIR?

--
Jim Cook
2010 Sundays: 4/4, 6/6, 8/8, 10/10, 12/12 and 5/9, 9/5, 7/11, 11/7.
Next year they're Monday.
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
10,627
97
#5
> Is there any way to see the FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DEVICE or
> FILE_ATTRIBUTE_VIRTUAL attributes displayed in DIR?
Sure, if you'll rewrite the NTFS drivers and the APIs in the Windows kernel
to return those attributes (which they currently do not).

(I can't imagine *why* you'd want to see FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DEVICE.)

Rex Conn
JP Software
 
#6
Sorry. I was reading the FindFirstFile and tunnelled into the dwAttributes
on the returned structure, which mentioned both of them. In the recent help
online, it does say "Reserved for system use", so ... nevermind.

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 4:18 PM, rconn <> wrote:


> ---Quote---
> > Is there any way to see the FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DEVICE or
> > FILE_ATTRIBUTE_VIRTUAL attributes displayed in DIR?
> ---End Quote---
> Sure, if you'll rewrite the NTFS drivers and the APIs in the Windows kernel
> to return those attributes (which they currently do not).
>
> (I can't imagine *why* you'd want to see FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DEVICE.)
>
> Rex Conn
> JP Software
>
>
>
>
>


--
Jim Cook
2010 Sundays: 4/4, 6/6, 8/8, 10/10, 12/12 and 5/9, 9/5, 7/11, 11/7.
Next year they're Monday.