Launching CMD.EXE from the Explorer Bar

This is a new technique for me, so sharing it with others who also may not know.

So, I have navigated to E:\hb32 in Explorer in Windows 10.

1612231823689.png

I next type cmd.exe in the address bar;
1612231895120.png

This then launches cmd.exe in the E:\hb32 folder.
1612232016442.png

Joe

Nov 2, 2008
I launch tcc from a modified 'write.exe', that uses apppath to load tccu.exe, In turn the apppath launches tcc.exe. This overcomes a number of bugs in Windows.

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
You can do the reverse, i.e., launch explorer from TCC, via

*explorer /e,.
Or even easier with START .

I have known about the Explorer location bar for a long time, probably since @Joe Caverly first mentioned it. But never use it; it's a tad cumbersome. If you use the TCCHere mechanism (TCCHere.btm) you can right-click on the name of the current folder in Explorer's left-hand pane and choose "TCC prompt here". Even better (IMHO) if, in HKCR\Directory\Background, you mimick what TCCHere.btm does in HKCR\Directory, then you'll get "TCC prompt here" from a right-click on the background of an Explorer folder window (or a right-click on the desktop itself). That's the one I use quite often.

Charles Dye

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 20, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
prospero.unm.edu
I tend to do this kind of stuff through the Win-R dialog. TCC.EXE is registered in AppPaths, so typing tcc is enough to launch it.

That little dialog is actually a lot savvier that you might guess. It can expand environment variables; you can run %userprofile% or %temp% to open the desired directory. It even recognizes shell folders, e.g. shell:printersfolder to see your printers.

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
I tend to do this kind of stuff through the Win-R dialog. TCC.EXE is registered in AppPaths, so typing tcc is enough to launch it.

That little dialog is actually a lot savvier that you might guess. It can expand environment variables; you can run %userprofile% or %temp% to open the desired directory. It even recognizes shell folders, e.g. shell:printersfolder to see your printers.
Yes, the Run dialog is very easy. But it doesn't give you any sort of "here" mechanism (does it?).

Nov 2, 2008
Spiritpyre's shell extensions can open a lot of useful things, like Toggle fileextentions, toggle hidden, open command prompt, etc. It's a bit long in the tooth, but works well in Windows 7 (6.10 32-bit). You can add things to the menu too.