Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Launching CMD.EXE from the Explorer Bar

Aug
This is a new technique for me, so sharing it with others who also may not know.

So, I have navigated to E:\hb32 in Explorer in Windows 10.

1612231823689.png

I next type cmd.exe in the address bar;
1612231895120.png

This then launches cmd.exe in the E:\hb32 folder.
1612232016442.png

Joe

Cool! And what's even cooler is, it works with TCC.EXE too!
Only if TCC.EXE is in your path, and only (in my case) if you start TCC.EXE with the /I option.

Joe

I launch tcc from a modified 'write.exe', that uses apppath to load tccu.exe, In turn the apppath launches tcc.exe. This overcomes a number of bugs in Windows.

You can do the reverse, i.e., launch explorer from TCC, via

*explorer /e,.
Or even easier with START .

I have known about the Explorer location bar for a long time, probably since @Joe Caverly first mentioned it. But never use it; it's a tad cumbersome. If you use the TCCHere mechanism (TCCHere.btm) you can right-click on the name of the current folder in Explorer's left-hand pane and choose "TCC prompt here". Even better (IMHO) if, in HKCR\Directory\Background, you mimick what TCCHere.btm does in HKCR\Directory, then you'll get "TCC prompt here" from a right-click on the background of an Explorer folder window (or a right-click on the desktop itself). That's the one I use quite often.

I tend to do this kind of stuff through the Win-R dialog. TCC.EXE is registered in AppPaths, so typing tcc is enough to launch it.

That little dialog is actually a lot savvier that you might guess. It can expand environment variables; you can run %userprofile% or %temp% to open the desired directory. It even recognizes shell folders, e.g. shell:printersfolder to see your printers.

I tend to do this kind of stuff through the Win-R dialog. TCC.EXE is registered in AppPaths, so typing tcc is enough to launch it.

That little dialog is actually a lot savvier that you might guess. It can expand environment variables; you can run %userprofile% or %temp% to open the desired directory. It even recognizes shell folders, e.g. shell:printersfolder to see your printers.
Yes, the Run dialog is very easy. But it doesn't give you any sort of "here" mechanism (does it?).

That doesn't work from TCC or Take Command.
Works for me.

Joe
Code:
     _x64: 1
   _admin: 1
_elevated: 1

TCC  28.02.18 x64   Windows 10 [Version 10.0.19044.2130]
BuildNumber  Caption                   CSDVersion  OSArchitecture  Version
19044        Microsoft Windows 10 Pro              64-bit          10.0.19044

Spiritpyre's shell extensions can open a lot of useful things, like Toggle fileextentions, toggle hidden, open command prompt, etc. It's a bit long in the tooth, but works well in Windows 7 (6.10 32-bit). You can add things to the menu too.

Back