"less" program that works in TC 18

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Nov 6, 2014
The version of "less" that's on my machine, which is from an ancient Win32 build of some GNU/Unix utilities: http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/, crashes in TC 18 x64.

I'm not looking for a TC fix; what I'm looking for is a suggestion from anyone who's using a Win32 build of less that works in TC. I'm a little surprised there isn't one in the MSYS package that git for Windows installs, but since "less" isn't used to build things, perhaps I shouldn't be.

Thanks for any pointers.

TC (tcmd.exe) monitors the console's screen buffer. LESS.EXE uses these two functions (below). I suspect that will never work with TC.
Code:
CreateConsoleScreenBuffer
SetConsoleActiveScreenBuffer

The version of "less" that's on my machine, which is from an ancient Win32 build of some GNU/Unix utilities: http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/, crashes in TC 18 x64.

I'm not looking for a TC fix; what I'm looking for is a suggestion from anyone who's using a Win32 build of less that works in TC. I'm a little surprised there isn't one in the MSYS package that git for Windows installs, but since "less" isn't used to build things, perhaps I shouldn't be.

Thanks for any pointers.
I would recommend Cygwin. I have the 64-bit version on my Windows 7.

Ref: https://jpsoft.com/forums/threads/problem-with-list.8182/

Joe

It's not clear to me which you mean. I normally run my TCC as a TCMD session tab. Are you referring to something different with it not working in TCMD?
I mean TCC in a TCMD tab. If I "g:\gnu\less file", I see the file for a split second. Then I'm back to the blank line after the command. If I press 'q' to exit less, either TCC disappears or conhost crashes. I get many zombie TCC and LESS processes.

May 20, 2008
I mean TCC in a TCMD tab. If I "g:\gnu\less file", I see the file for a split second. Then I'm back to the blank line after the command. If I press 'q' to exit less, either TCC disappears or conhost crashes. I get many zombie TCC and LESS processes.
I'm not seeing this on mine. When I less in a TCC tab, the file stays until I q to exit. Whether I less file or pipe output to less, both seem to work for me without crashing.

Nov 6, 2014
the LESS.EXE that is bundled with GIT works without any issues.
The MSYS2 stuff that git 2.10.2 installed on my Windows system doesn't have a "less". Maybe I need to upgrade.

I may try using an alias to TCMD's "list" command. However, it has a couple of differences from the Unix "less" that give me some pain: 'q' doesn't quit the program and '/' doesn't search. So I think getting a Win32 build of "less" that works in TCMD is probably where I still need to go. I think I might be successful with a newer git-for-win installation.

Nov 6, 2014
The "less" utility from the gitforwindows.org package v2.15.1(2) is working fine in TCMD 18.

Thanks samintz and everyone else for all the suggestions.