Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Done Log entry command

Jul
Nice to have: A way to write to the current log file without recoding the actual command syntax in the log.

So as and example, If I wanted to mark an event in the log file without actually recording the command and without turning logging off, I would type something like:

LogIn [/spacing switch] "***** Something important ****".

When I view the log file all I would see in "***** Something important ****" without the actual LogIn ... text appearing. All other commands, etc. would still be recorded according to the log on/off state, which would not be altered when using the new LogIn command.

Actual Log entry (w/double spaced switch):
<blank line>
"***** Something important ****"
<blank line>

You can already write to the log like that:

Code:
d:\>option //logname=d:\testlog.txt

d:\>log ******Something Important**********

d:\>type testlog.txt
[28/08/17 10:08:36][16436] ******Something Important**********

d:\>

A bit of fiddling with an alias would probably let you insert the blank lines too if essential.

A way to prevent a command being logged would be sufficient. COMMENT, though intended for batch file use, produces no error when used on the command line and winds up in the log (tested both logs). We already have @ to keep a command from the history. Maybe (not well thought out) @@ could mean don't write to the log either. Perhaps
Code:
comment unrecorded command & @@command
That might seem a bit cumbersome, but I doubt it would be used much. I wouldn't want the logging mechanism to slow things down noticeably.

You can already write to the log like that:

Code:
d:\>option //logname=d:\testlog.txt

d:\>log ******Something Important**********

d:\>type testlog.txt
[28/08/17 10:08:36][16436] ******Something Important**********

d:\>

A bit of fiddling with an alias would probably let you insert the blank lines too if essential.

Not what I was requesting.
Code:
C:\JPSoft>@log hi there - this is a logged item

Log entry:
Code:
@log hi there - this is a logged item
[ 8/28/17 16:53:30][10216] log hi there - this is a logged item
[ 8/28/17 16:53:30][10216] hi there - this is a logged item

As you can see the @ is of no consequence for what I intend. Using comment on the cmd line isn't any better, and I would use this request mostly in batch files.

The OP was intended
to produce a log entry like:
Code:
[ 8/28/17 16:53:29][10216] PREVIOUS COMMAND

hi there - this is a logged item

[ 8/28/17 16:53:30][10216] NEXT COMMAND
I have been fiddling, way more that a bit, with aliases to accomplish this and they are less than adequate to do what I have requested. Just not as clean as I wanted or hoped. In addition when messing with the log file there are timing issues that sometime generate file not accessible/busy errors.

As you will recall I asked for some ideas from the support forum on how I might accomplish this with existing TCC commands. You even commented about having many log off's in the log. Just a part what this request would eliminate.

I believe implementing this as internal TCC code will produce cleaner, easier to read, and useful log entries. Sure, I have used various aliases and batch files to improve my logging, but none have accomplished what this suggestion should.

Hopefully Rex understands my intent and chooses to spend the time and effort that will be required to make this idea native to TCC. BTW, the spacing request is part of several other suggestions I've posted. I still have a few more I am composing, off-line, that I hope to post before the next version's design is locked down.

Last edited: