Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WAD Messages cannot be seen or accessed in Forum

May
I received latest post from Dan Mathews (a perceived problem with DIR) and a response by Frank by email. However, when I browse the Forums they are not shown; if I click on either of those posts in Outlook Express a new tab is opened in Firefox, and I get the message:

Take Command Windows command processor - Error
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

What's going on?

Dan deleted the thread. (He created it; I guess that gives him the right to destroy it.)

Dan deleted the thread. (He created it; I guess that gives him the right to destroy it.)
How does an ordinary mortal creature clicking on "view this thread" obtain that information? If the JPsoft forum would display a message "This thread has been deleted" we would not have been spending our time on this issue.

Once information has been disseminated, it cannot be recalled. Deleting a thread does not make already distributed copies disappear. Whoever received the original information needs to be informed of any subsequent change of status!

Sorry, Steve. (It's amazing to me how late at night some people are there to respond to threads. Other countries?) As I said in my reply to your post on that issue in what's left of that thread I had made a stupid mistake (which I am quite fond of doing! :) ). In the future since I now know that this can be a problem I will not delete postings that started threads when I discover that I've screwed up; rather I will add a new posting that says something to the effect of "Stupid mistake. Problem resolved.)

- Dan

In the future since I now know that this can be a problem I will not delete postings that started threads when I discover that I've screwed up; rather I will add a new posting that says something to the effect of "Stupid mistake. Problem resolved.)

It would be nice if you'll also add a brief description of how you solved it, or what the problem turned out to be, in case someone else encounters the same issue in the future.

How does an ordinary mortal creature clicking on "view this thread" obtain that information? If the JPsoft forum would display a message "This thread has been deleted" we would not have been spending our time on this issue.

I don't think that whether a user decides to edit or delete a post is really any business of the rest of the users. If the post isn't there any more, don't try to respond and don't stress out. There's only two possible things that could have happened:

1) The user deleted it (99.9% of the time)
2) A moderator deleted it (0.1% of the time, only for spam)

Once information has been disseminated, it cannot be recalled. Deleting a thread does not make already distributed copies disappear. Whoever received the original information needs to be informed of any subsequent change of status!

I honestly don't know what you want me to do here -- prohibit anyone from editing or deleting their posts? Send email notifications every time somebody edits or deletes a post? (BTW, that would increase your email by at least an order of magnitude; some users edit their posts multiple times.)

This is ONLY relevant for the ~10 users who want email notifications; the other 940 registered forum users don't care. And as I've mentioned a few dozen times previously, JP Software does not support email notifications. It is what it is; if you don't like an aspect of it, don't use it. I will not be modifying it.

Charles and Steve, a long explanation regarding your questions. I was trying to copy what I thought was a file but was really a directory to another drive, and "copy" wasn't copying it because I had (somehow) already copied said directory either to said drive from my RAM disk or from said drive to my RAM disk (and I always use the /O parameter on the copy command to help me avoid the stupid mistakes that I am so fond of; i.e. I virtually never want to actually overwrite an existing file because I keep past versions of many files for "historical" purposes, and I rename these files so that their name contains "version" information of some kind) so said directory existed on both drives, and I didn't notice that said directory already existed on the destination drive because when I am only interested in the files in a given directory I automatically do the "Dir" with the "/A-D /K /M" parameters (probably about 90% of the time) so I therefore didn't see it. And the fundamental mistake that I had made was that I mis-named the directory I was trying to copy; it contained the files extracted from a 7z (similar to zip) file. I do this a lot; but I usually name the directory containing these files "Base7zFileName.un7z", and this time I had (somehow and stupidly) given the directory the same name as the 7z file that contained the files I had extracted so I thought I was trying to copy a file and not a directory and that was failing. As I said, a stupid mistake.

- Dan

I honestly don't know what you want me to do here -- prohibit anyone from editing or deleting their posts?

Don't prohibit editing, just deleting (except for moderators). Once a post has been created, it should remain (with the exception of spam). If the OP decides against the message afterwards, they can edit it to reflect their change of mind, but the post (even if edited to a blank message) and its chain of replies should remain.

I disagree about editing, agree about deleting. In a browser-based forum quoting what you respond to is useful only in the rare case when you want to reply point-by-point. If I reply to a post, but it is edited by the time my response is posted, I may be agreeing to jump off a bridge. Furthermore, if one could not take back once already posted, one would be more careful in the first place - hence fewer junk posts. So I think a change of mind should be a separate post. I don't mind admitting that I have in the past posted baseless complaints - I, too, make dumb mistakes. Remember the old saying: "make sure mind is in gear before putting mouth in motion".

Maybe that's a fantasy, but it would still provide the disposition of a message that had been posted. Of course, the only thing that could let me know that someone else had posted an answer (or that the OP found the answer) while I was composing my own answer - so I would stop duplicating effort - is if the forum were more like a chat board without buffering, i.e., anyone's response to a thread were delivered to all currently logged in users a character at a time. But at least the thread currently viewed could be updated in my browser in real time whenever a new post arrives. AFAIK there is no mechanism to "refresh" the thread, only to close it and open it again.