Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mkdir and rmdir very slow

Feb
I find that mkdir and rmdir run very slowly within TCC. They take 2-3 second each to complete, both on my main computer (core i7), as well as on my laptop (Atom). On both computers, mkdir/rmdir in cmd.exe responds instantaneously. What am I doing wrong?
[I would add that this delay occurs even when directories are deleted within other commands, without an explicit rmdir. For instance, when I run "move /sx *.*", which deletes the subdirectories underneath the current directory after copying the files, it also pauses for several seconds while deleting each subdirectory]

Try them with the /Nt option.

If you have a very large jpstree.idx file, MD and RD will have to do a lot of work to update it. If your MD / RD are fast with the /Nt option, you could either alias MD and RD to use /Nt, or trim your jpstree.idx file to only include the drives & directories you actually want to access with fuzzy directory searches.

Hi Rex,
Yes, that was it, when using the /Nt option it executed instantaneously. Although I really enjoy the luxury of the jpstree.idx fuzzy search, so I'm not sure I'd want to sacrifice that. Oh well.

Try them with the /Nt option.

If you have a very large jpstree.idx file, MD and RD will have to do a lot of work to update it. If your MD / RD are fast with the /Nt option, you could either alias MD and RD to use /Nt, or trim your jpstree.idx file to only include the drives & directories you actually want to access with fuzzy directory searches.

Yes, that was it, when using the /Nt option it executed instantaneously. Although I really enjoy the luxury of the jpstree.idx fuzzy search, so I'm not sure I'd want to sacrifice that. Oh well.

Use the CDD /S drive and directory options to limit the 99% of the drives & directories you don't want to index and will never want to CD into.

And the TreeExclude environment variable. If you look in your jpstree.idx file, you'll probably see all sorts of stuff you can exclude.

Given how often this comes up, would it possibly make sense to include a "... updating jpstree.idx" message if the process takes more than a second or so?

Or better yet, could the update be done in a background thread?

I gave up on the whole concept myself due to the time required for the updates (and I found that for a limited set of directories, directory aliases with auto-complete suited me better)