Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Fixed MKLINK /D

TCC LE 13.01.33 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7601]
MKLINK /D to a non-existent directory target creates a file symlink. It should be a directory symlink.

Why do you want to create a (useless) link to a nonexistent directory?
I want to link targets that will come, like external drives and such, things that aren't yet physically attached. Unlike CMD's MKLINK /D, which creates a directory symlink to a (non-existent) target, TCC's MKLINK /D creates a file link to a (non-existent) target.

I want to link targets that will come, like external drives and such, things that aren't yet physically attached..

I think you're trying to redefine a CMD bug as a feature, but I'll take a look at it. (IMO 99.99% of the time that would be a user error, not a desire to define a link to an imaginary-but-maybe-I'll-create-it-sometime-in-the-future directory.)

Thank you for taking a look at it. I'm definitely in the 0.01% of your estimates and the use case I mentioned is a real one. I grew up on *nix systems where it is accepted practice to define "forward-pointing" symlinks, for instance, in conjunction with directories that services, not humans, create. Unlike *nix symlinks, which are "genderless", Windows makes a distinction between "directory" and "file" symlinks. CMD's MKLINK preserves that distinction.