Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MKLNK exit status

MKLNK seems to set %_? to zero even in the face of errors. I could test this issue on an XP machine as I don't have a newer OS with me at the moment. Rex, if you do think this is an actual bug would you please roll a fix for TCCLE, too? I can reproduce on TCMD 16.00.43 and TCCLE 13.06.77.
Code:
TCC 16.00.43 Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Copyright 2014 JP Software Inc. All Rights Reserved

Active code page: 1252
C:\>mkdir c:\temp\target & dir /k/m c:\temp\target
23/03/2014 9:18 <DIR> .
23/03/2014 9:18 <DIR> ..

C:\>mklnk c:\temp\target c:\temp\link & echo %_? %?
C:\temp\link -> C:\temp\target
0 0

C:\>mklnk c:\temp\target-NOT-THERE c:\temp\link & echo %_? %?
TCC: (Sys) The system cannot find the file specified.
"C:\temp\target-NOT-THERE"
0 0

C:\>

If you mean XP, I still prefer it, both for lack of finances to purchase a new laptop that does not provide additional benefit for my use, and because they're lack of backward compatibility - even if I could afford it, I would not want to learn the new user interfaces to almost every program with few, if any, benefits for my use. Were I 50 years younger I may hanker for some features, but definitely loved IBM's decision to make backward compatibility their most important design rule. BTW, I do own a Win7 system, but I like it much less (and it's not even luggable).

And aren't junctions and symbolic links identical concepts, but the latter not restricted to a single volume as the former is?

When experimenting, I noticed that MKLINK will make a symbolic link even if the target (directory or file)does not exist. I suppose that's because CreateSymbolicLink() will do so. But it might be a nice touch to prevent the user from doing something useless (unless it's common practice to create symbolic links and create the target later).

When experimenting, I noticed that MKLINK will make a symbolic link even if the target (directory or file)does not exist. I suppose that's because CreateSymbolicLink() will do so. But it might be a nice touch to prevent the user from doing something useless (unless it's common practice to create symbolic links and create the target later).

WAD -- that's how MKLINK behaves in CMD.

For my education only, what is the difference between a symbolic link whose target is an intravolume directory, and a junction?