Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

modal dialog in one tab can lock up take command

May
I'm running two scripts: 1-build.btm, and Uploading wyBuild Update.btm

Uploading wyBuild Update.btm issued a msgbox.
I clicked back to 1-build, was doing some other stuff, then clicked back and accidentally pressed the right mouse button while 1-build was the current tab - and TC went gray / not responding.

I assume it is because the modal dialog isn't able to get the message because it is maybe modal for the entire app, instead of just modal for the document window that it is a member of?

Not sure, of course, but definitely a nasty bug.

(NOTE: 1-build.btm had also issued a msgbox at this point - I just couldn't see it (never displayed) - I saw it only after asking windows to kill the process... then the message box appeared. But the app continued to crash out after I pressed OK on that dialog.

Attachments

• TC 15.01 locked up.png
    TC 15.01 locked up.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 282
Speaking of bugs: if you open TC, start the debugger, open help, then try to close out of the IDE or TC without first closing help, the entire process tree will crash bringing up windows crash handler...

More bugs: I have an instance of TC where I can't seem to change the window colors. It just discards my changes every time I exit the configuration dialog. I checked file permissions, and I can edit tcmd.ini just fine, so not permissions...

More bugs: I have an instance of TC where I can't seem to change the window colors. It just discards my changes every time I exit the configuration dialog. I checked file permissions, and I can edit tcmd.ini just fine, so not permissions...

There's a half-dozen different ways you can change colors -- can you tell me exactly which one you're using, and what you're running in the tab window(s)?

There's a half-dozen different ways you can change colors -- can you tell me exactly which one you're using, and what you're running in the tab window(s)?
Tc, Options, Configure TCC, Windows, Error Foreground - set to bright red, apply, ok.
Exit TC. Start TC. Return to Configure TCC. Setting is gone.
Can do this all day.
Try playing with ANSI Colors - turn them on, turn them off. No change (in fact, doesn't recall that check box state from run to run).
...?

NOTES:
1) I now see this on two different PCs, both running x64 versions, both Windows 8 machines (one is running 2012 server, the other is professional).
2) I have seen it work on one login on the 2012 box. I just whacked at the various settings repeatedly, and eventually it started working, But no luck on the other login, or the other machine...

I presume your TC is the tabbed interface implemented in tcmd.exe (most refer to it as TCMD, not TC). Unlike the .INI file used by TCC, whose name is available as %_ININAME, the name used by TCMD is NOT available without searching, and it may be different from the one actually used by TCC. Check the time %_ININAME was last changed. You may be in a trap for the unweary - your procedure changes the .INI file used by TCMD; TCC may actually use some other file! IMHO it is safer to use the OPTION command in TCC to change TCC options.

This is the description of where TCMD finds its .INI file if it is not explicitly specified in the startup command:

This option sets the path and name of the .INI file. You don't need this option if

1) your .INI file is named TCMD.INI, and​
2) it is in one of the following directories:​
2.1) the same directory as Take Command
2.2) the %localappdata% directory​

In addition to what Steve said, the "Configure TCC" option in the Take Command menu will only affect *new* TCC instances, not the current ones. And only if you're using the same TCMD.INI file for both Take Command and TCC. You can see the pathname that TCMD is using by looking at the titlebar of the dialog window when you configure Take Command or TCC.

Also, if you have color options set in TCC (or if you set them in the registry for all console sessions), they will override the ones set by TCMD.

Color solved:

If you specify foreground colors, but don't specify backgrounds (leave them as (default)), then it throws away your settings.

I would suggest that this is a bug.

If this behavior is "as designed", then at an absolute bare minimum, the dialog needs to warn the user at exit (You only specified foreground colors. You must specify backgrounds too or your settings will be discarded. Discard your colors Yes/No?)

I assumed it would only affect new instances / new tabs.
I haven't configured anything outside of using TCMD's interface.
I only see the one TCMD.INI file
I didn't try to set the colors for TCMD, only for TCC
I'm exclusively running .btm files, so those appear in TCC windows / tabs, so I would assume that the colors would affect those?
I can verify that the color settings are forgotten just by returning to the configuration interface in TCMD - the values reset every time.
I'll do a search on TCMD.ini (any other files I should look for to see if they're interfering?)
Also... why would TCMD show that the settings disappear each time if another .ini were getting in the way? Why wouldn't it show my settings (as it was told to configure them), even if they're being overridden elsewhere?

Sorry to post 3 bugs in one thread. I see now that this was a mistake :(

Next time, 3 threads...

However, unless a moderator wants to break them out, I think I need to continue with the original issue, since this thread has that title....

I just did a simple test:
  1. Open TCMD with one TCC tab
  2. Enter
    Code:
    "MSGBOX OK "Testing" press any key to continue
  3. You can see the message box waiting for input...
  4. Right click near your tab, choose "new tab"
  5. See TCMD window disappear, and the app is totally impossible to access. It still has an icon on the task bar - if you click it you can get a flash of the window trying to paint... but immediately disappears. I was able to "close this window", but I was not able to regain control of that session.
So... it would appear that MSGBOX is app-modal, not tab (document/instance) modal.

Seems like a bug to me!

So... this is a rather important issue for us. Is there an alternative to MSGBOX that doesn't have the many problems that MSGBOX seems to exhibit with TC 15 (it used to work without fail in TC 8 and prior versions).

Open TCMD with one TCC tab
  1. Enter
    Code:
    "MSGBOX OK "Testing" press any key to continue
  2. You can see the message box waiting for input...
  3. Right click near your tab, choose "new tab"
  4. See TCMD window disappear, and the app is totally impossible to access. It still has an icon on the task bar - if you click it you can get a flash of the window trying to paint... but immediately disappears. I was able to "close this window", but I was not able to regain control of that session.
Upon completing step 3 on Win7/32, the message box disappears; according to Spy++ it still exists but no longer has the WS_VISIBLE style. TCMD and the new TCC are OK but the original TCC is still waiting for the message box to be dismissed.

So... this is a rather important issue for us. Is there an alternative to MSGBOX that doesn't have the many problems that MSGBOX seems to exhibit with TC 15 (it used to work without fail in TC 8 and prior versions).

What are the proboems with MSGBOX in v15?