Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

multi-INI file merging

Apr
I have TCMD v 8 to 12.1 and have one INI file for each TCMD and TCC; Hence I'd like to merge them into one ALL_TCMD.INI and ALL_TCC.INI files. Not sure what is the best way to do this? I am not saure even how to structure the ALL_*.ini files to check for different versions. Would it be using %_4ver or similar? Any suggestions are welcomed.

D:\TakeCommand\INIs\TCC_v9.ini
D:\TakeCommand\INIs\TCC_v10.ini
D:\TakeCommand\INIs\TCC_v11.ini
D:\TakeCommand\INIs\TCC_v12.ini
D:\TakeCommand\INIs\TCMD_v8.ini
D:\TakeCommand\INIs\TCMD_v9.ini
D:\TakeCommand\INIs\TCMD_v10.ini
D:\TakeCommand\INIs\TCMD_v11.ini
D:\TakeCommand\INIs\TCMD_v12.ini

TCC 12.10.64 Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
TCC Build 64 Windows XP Build 2600 Service Pack 3
Registered to Charles Galloway - 5 System License

========================================

---- Original Message ----
| I have TCMD v 8 to 12.1 and have one INI file for each TCMD and TCC;
| Hence I'd like to merge them into one ALL_TCMD.INI and ALL_TCC.INI
| files. Not sure what is the best way to do this? I am not saure even
| how to structure the ALL_*.ini files to check for different versions.
| Would it be using %_4ver or similar? Any suggestions are welcomed.
Sorry, but neither 4NT (v8), nor TCC/TCMD(v9+) are able to select portions of an .INI file based on version. The only selection is based on section title, which allows separating directives meant for the command processor (4NT/TCC) from those meant for the GUI shell (TCMD). The closest you can get to your goal is the use of the INCLUDE directive (which is deprecated by Rex) and put directives that are valid in all versions of interest into one file, those valid since V9 into another, those valid since V10 into yet another, etc. - and you must also worry about directives valid only in earlier versions. One of the issues about using .INI files by the INCLUDE directive is that if if you make changes with the OPTION dialog, it merges all directives from included files into the file named in the _ININAME internal variable, without updating the included files. Lastly, using 4NT/TCC updates the .INI file even without using the OPTION dialog by adding sections relating to the debugger, etc. - unless the files are write-protected.

The only method you could use, other than include files, that sets options based on 4NT / TCC version is the use of the OPTION @FILE format in your 4START / TCSTART, where you can call files of directives based on the 4NT / TCC. However, some directives are processed only from the .INI file(s) processed when 4NT / TCC is loaded, BEFORE the 4START / TCSTART is executed, and cannot be set or modified once the command processor started.

It is due to the complexity of processing directives and all the above mentioned restrictions (and there may be more I did not report) that Rex chose no longer to document any directives that can be set by the OPTION dialog.
--
HTH, Steve