Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Multiple networks simultaneously

May
Does any version of Windows support a single computer being connected to more than one network at the same time? For example, two NICs, or a real NIC and a simulated one (a WiFi adapter). Trying to do this on Win7 the NIC always disables the WiFi, though at this itime the WiFi is for internet access, the other NIC for LAN. I remember trying something akin to this years ago with WinXP, with equal failure.

Thanks, it helped, but still no luck. As soon as bridged my NICs, the iwireless adapter was prevented from Internet access. Seems for now I need to use a memory stick for data transfer...

Would your system happen to be a laptop?

If it is, check the BIOS, as there is a setting to turn off the WiFi when there is a wired Ethernet connection available. Not on all laptops, but on some laptops, HP I believe.

Joe

You need to set one as priority over the other. If you bring up the advanced settings for the NIC's (bring up Network and Sharing Center and then click on the link on the left for "change adapter settings", then the Advanced menu, then Advanced Settings...) you can change the connection order, the bindings, as well as the provider order.

I have a dual-homed system with my "private" LAN used for testing and the "corporate" LAN used for Internet stuff. I think (if memory serves) I had to disable Netbios over TCP on the private LAN or Windows ends up trying to be too clever.

I did this on an XP machine for years without any problems and no bridging was necessary. I also did it with a Win2K machine after the XP machine died. I did have Internet Connection Sharing enabled so that the devices on the private network could get to the Internet through the "router" machine, but that wasn't necessary for the "router" machine to be able to access either network.

I suspect the difference may be that the Internet facing side was connected directly to my cable modem, so it was smack dab on the Internet with a routeable IP address and all, and the local network side was on a non-routeable subnet.

Steve, I suspect maybe both of your NICs are on private networks, with a router between your computer and the modem. And each network is possibly on the same subnet, like 192.168.1.x, even though they're on the different physical networks, so Windows doesn't know which way to go to get to the Internet.

What do you mean by "Trying to do this on Win7 the NIC always disables the WiFi"? Do you mean the adapter literally gets turned off, or do you mean it just doesn't pass Internet traffic through it?

Regardless, if they are both on 192.168.1.x, for example, try moving one to a different subnet, such as 192.168.2.x. As long as you use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask on each one, then they will be different subnets.

Does any version of Windows support a single computer being connected to more than one network at the same time?
As other people said, You should check that Your pc does not disable the wireless automatically when You plug the cable in.
Also, Windows complains if You have more than one default gateway.
Otherwise, I use this settings many times.
Can You give us some more information?
For example, ipconfig /ALL might help.

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Back