Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"N" attribute???

If I use the ATTRIB command on any type of BATCH file on my C: drive, it shows an "N" attribute. I also find that I cannot write any BATCH files to the TCMD directory on the C: drive. This makes it VERY difficult to deal with TakeCommand. Any ideas what is going on? Thanks.

Harvey

The "N" attribute ("Normal") is Microsoft's way of saying that no other attributes are set. The only way to set "N" is to clear everything else.

Your batch files issue depends on the version of Windows you're running. If you're using Vista or Windows 7, you cannot write to any subdirectory of "c:\program files" (where TCMD will be installed by default). This is Windows security -- you'll have to create your batch files in another directory, or install Take Command in a different directory. (This is non-TCMD specific; you'll have the same problem trying to create batch file's in CMD's directory.)

The "N" attribute isn't a real attribute, it is dynamically generated by the operating system if none of the other attributes is set. In other words, ignore it.

As far as being unable to write batch files to the TCMD directory, you likely don't have appropriate permissions. I'd suggest placing batch files in a location under your user account and seeing if that works; Assuming you can write to your own user directory, you'll need to launch your editor (or TC) with administrative rights to modify files in the TCMD directory.

The "N" attribute ("Normal") is Microsoft's way of saying that no other attributes are set. The only way to set "N" is to clear everything else.

Your batch files issue depends on the version of Windows you're running. If you're using Vista or Windows 7, you cannot write to any subdirectory of "c:\program files" (where TCMD will be installed by default). This is Windows security -- you'll have to create your batch files in another directory, or install Take Command in a different directory. (This is non-TCMD specific; you'll have the same problem trying to create batch file's in CMD's directory.)

That would explain the problem alright. I always used to install 4DOS, 4OS2, and 4NT in its own directory, but for Take Command I decided to use the default. Silly me!! Thanks!!!

Harvey

That would explain the problem alright. I always used to install 4DOS, 4OS2, and 4NT in its own directory, but for Take Command I decided to use the default.
Actually, you can still accept the default selection. All my 4DOS/TCC batch files and script portions go in a custom directory like c:\batch. I install TCMD or TCCLE in the default directory under "C:\Program Files\JPSoft\". I also keep TCSTART.BTM there, and it has one command:
@c:\batch\tcc_newstart.btm

Note that it's not a "call" command, because I'm not going to return to "c:\Program Files\". The "tcc_newstart.btm" handles all the real initializations for me, which include rewriting the PATH, setting up 10 or 12 environment variables needed by my favorite utilities, loading my aliases from an external file, and changing the PROMPT to something colorful. (Oh, yeah .... In TCMD.INI, I do have ANSI set to Yes.)

So if you want, you can accept all the defaults, and still have full access to the TCC batch files and scripts. And when you upgrade, you can mindlessly accept the defaults, because the Install program will not overwrite TCMD.INI nor TCSTART.BTM.

HTH.

Actually, you can still accept the default selection. All my 4DOS/TCC batch files and script portions go in a custom directory like c:\batch. I install TCMD or TCCLE in the default directory under "C:\Program Files\JPSoft\". I also keep TCSTART.BTM there, and it has one command:
@c:\batch\tcc_newstart.btm

Alternatively, you can just put your TCSTART.BTM in C:\BATCH, and add C:\BATCH to the search path.

Another alternative I use is to specify the start file in the manner specified for TCMD in HELP topic "Take command Startup Options" and for TCC in "TCC Startup Options"; and the start directory is specified in the .LNK file. This allows me to have multiple versions of TCMD and TCC (and also 4NT), each with its own .INI file; each could have its own *START.BTM as well - but that I reserve for the shortcuts which use (typically as a transient) TCC to perform some action, rather than to open an instance for my work. For example, I have desktop shortcuts (each with a unique hotkey for quick start from the keyboard) to change screen resolution, screen saver timeout, access websites, etc.

Back