Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WAD Nested if exits enclosing if

Apr
I'm seeing this on TCC 14.01.33 x64 but it was the same in previous versions, so maybe this isn't a bug? If a nested IF statement has a false condition and does not have an ELSE block, then the enclosing IF block is exited.

@echo off
set outer=1
set inner1=
set inner2=1

rem Possible bug: Should print "inner2" but does not
if defined outer (
echo outer

if defined inner1 (
echo inner1
)

if defined inner2 (
echo inner2
)
)

rem Workaround: add empty else block
if defined outer (
echo outer

if defined inner1 (
echo inner1
) else ( )

if defined inner2 (
echo inner2
) else ( )
)

I'm seeing this on TCC 14.01.33 x64 but it was the same in previous versions, so maybe this isn't a bug? If a nested IF statement has a false condition and does not have an ELSE block, then the enclosing IF block is exited.

Not a bug; it's a CMD-compatibility issue.

Go to "OPTION / Startup", and uncheck "Duplicate CMD.EXE bugs", and it will behave the way you want. See the help for IF for more details.

Not a bug; it's a CMD-compatibility issue.

Go to "OPTION / Startup", and uncheck "Duplicate CMD.EXE bugs", and it will behave the way you want. See the help for IF for more details.

Thanks. BTW, this works now under CMD using Win 7 Version 6.1.7601 and XP Version 5.1.2600 (SP3). But, they don't like the empty else block.

I recommend using the IFF block instead wherever possible. It's neater, inherently multiline, and not hogtied by compatibility with the (shifting?) CMD.EXE target.