Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New desktop and StartUp folder?

May
In another thread I noted that creating a new desktop with DESKTOP caused Explorer to execute a shortcut to a logon script which I placed in the StartUp folder. I noticed today that creating a new desktop with SysInternals's DESKTOPS.EXE does not do that. At the moment, I don't have a preference for either behavior. But I am curious about the difference. What does TCC do to cause that to happen? Whatever it is, it does not seem necessary. Could it be made an option of the DESKTOP command?

WAD. DESKTOP doesn't start Explorer, it starts userinit.exe (which runs logon scripts, establishes network connections, and then starts Explorer.exe.)

The purpose of DESKTOP isn't to emulate 100% SysInternal's version, and it's certainly not to create something too encumbered with options to easily use. If you prefer the SysInternal version, use it.

WAD. DESKTOP doesn't start Explorer, it starts userinit.exe (which runs logon scripts, establishes network connections, and then starts Explorer.exe.)

The purpose of DESKTOP isn't to emulate 100% SysInternal's version, and it's certainly not to create something too encumbered with options to easily use. If you prefer the SysInternal version, use it.

Userinit is too heavy-handed to be the default. I'll bet it leads to problems.

I had to alter my logon script so it wouldn't do nearly all the things it does at logon and anyone who uses a logon script and TCC's DESKTOP is likely to need to do the same.

Network connections span desktops; SUBSTs span desktops; SHRALIAS spans desktops. As for other apps (email clients, et c.) it's questionable whether users will want second instances, whether second instances will even start, and whether a second instances, if started, will interfere with the first (as happens with PowerPro). The only thing in my logon script I want done on a second desktop is to inject a middle_button_double_click mouse hook dll into explorer (and that I can do with a "DESKTOP ... START /DESKTOP ..." alias/script).

Please give us options. ... don't auto-switch, start userinit (/I), start just explorer (/E), start something else (/P ...). I'll configure new desktops as I see fit, with aliases or scripts that use START /DESKTOP