Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New version of installer?

May
Was the upgrade to v14b17 supposed to delete this directory?

C:\Users\vefatica\AppData\Roaming\JP Software\Take Command 14.0 14.00.16

It didn't.

Perhaps because 14.00.16 was uninstalled?

Did you uninstall 14.00.16 before installing 14.00.17, or did you tell the installer to delete previous versions?

Are we supposed to collect 1+ megabyte TCMD.MSI files forever? ... with more in \windows\installer?

Ask Microsoft -- it's their program. There is nothing in the installer script that's doing it.

If you don't want the files, and you don't ever need to repair your installation, then delete them.

Did you uninstall 14.00.16 before installing 14.00.17, or did you tell the installer to delete previous versions?

Ask Microsoft -- it's their program. There is nothing in the installer script that's doing it.

If you don't want the files, and you don't ever need to repair your installation, then delete them.

Every time I install, I check the radio button that says "remove only the [N - 1] version". They are never removed. There is no mechanism for rolling back to a previous version; the only version that can be repaired is the most recent one. The only registry keys that mention those (18, now) directories (16 with MSI files) are the ones that mention the most recent minor version numbers. What good are those directories and MSI files? Can't you delete the "Take Command N.0 N.0.M" tree when you install version N.0.M+1?

And I really doubt it can be blamed on MS's installer. I doubt the installer stores MSI files in APPDATA by default. Those 15 TCMD.MSI files are the only MSI files in my APPDATA tree. If the installer were doing that routinely, there would be an uproar.

Every time I install, I check the radio button that says "remove only the [N - 1] version". They are never removed. There is no mechanism for rolling back to a previous version; the only version that can be repaired is the most recent one. The only registry keys that mention those (18, now) directories (16 with MSI files) are the ones that mention the most recent minor version numbers. What good are those directories and MSI files? Can't you delete the "Take Command N.0 N.0.M" tree when you install version N.0.M+1?

No. I could delete *everything* there, but I cannot delete individual versions when I cannot know what those versions are.

And I really doubt it can be blamed on MS's installer. I doubt the installer stores MSI files in APPDATA by default. Those 15 TCMD.MSI files are the only MSI files in my APPDATA tree. If the installer were doing that routinely, there would be an uproar.

I have 73 .MSI files in my APPDATA, only four are TCMD. Apparently most people aren't as exorcised about the files as you.

I have 73 .MSI files in my APPDATA, only four are TCMD. Apparently most people aren't as exorcised about the files as you.

You think maybe Vincent has a daemon deleting the old versions?
<GR&D>

No. I could delete *everything* there, but I cannot delete individual versions when I cannot know what those versions are.

The installer seems to know the **one** that needs deleting ... it mentions it by name ("remove only ...") ... one minor version less than the one being installed ... that is, the current (pre-update) minor version.

On lucky, 2+ years old now, there are 30 MSI files in the APPDATA tree, every one TCMD.MSI.

I suppose the other 69 are for versions of the Caphyon Advanced Installer! :-) [Couldn't resist]
I have four from TCMD14 alone.

I, too, had installer issues with B17. My normal procedure is to download the installer into a unique directory, start it, and killl any V12 or later TCC instances; the installer is instructed to remove only the previous build of the save version (would be overwritten anyway) but retain all older versions (currently going back to 4nt5). On my desktop system it apparently installed all, but instead of reporting that it finished it offered to "add features/repair/remove". On my laptop system I used option/u; it finished successfully. Comparison of files showed that in fact B17 was successfully installed on the desktop, but the installer displayed a false alarm. B17 actually runs succesfully.

I also had all those left-over tcmd.msi files, deleted manually.

Ask Microsoft? This isn't Microsoft's installer - it's Caphyon's. Sure, it uses the MSI format but it's up to Caphyon to build the script properly. It does seem wrong that Caphyon doesn't remove the MSI remnants when a version is upgraded.

It also seems wrong that these MSI files are stored in the "Roaming" part of the profile. They should be in the "Local" part.