Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Off-topic ... FIOS

May
I got Verizon FIOS internet today, also keeping one of two RoadRunner IPs. I think all's well, but I'd appreciate someone telling me how it looks from the outside.

vefatica.net should lookup as 72.230.84.150 and alt.vefatica.net as 71.176.70.208 and FTP should be available at both. Would someone please check? Thanks!

Another thing ... both those IP names work when I use them in a browwser, or in TCC. But NSLOOKUP.EXE is all screwy. By default it tries to use the RoadRunner DNS server even though everything alse uses the Verizon DNS server (since the Verizon connection has a smaller metric). if, with NSLOOKUP, I force the Verizon DNS server (which is actually the non-routable 192.168.1.1, my FIOS router), then I get crazy results.
Code:
v:\> nslookup vefatica.net 192.168.1.1
Server:  FIOS_Quantum_Gateway.fios-router.home
Address:  192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    vefatica.net.twcny.rr.com
Address:  92.242.140.21

v:\> nslookup alt.vefatica.net 192.168.1.1

Name:    alt.vefatica.net.twcny.rr.com

Those addresses returned make no sense because (1) they're the same, (2) it doesn't belong to me, and (3) it's an IP address in the UK!

It must have something to do with Windows appending domain info to hostnames, but as far as I know, Windows knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about vefatica.net or alt.vefatica.net

FileZilla tells me "Server sent passive reply with unroutable address. Using server address instead." and fails to connect
using the IP address or alt.vefatica.net. The site vefatica.net works.

That's interesting. When I try it with TCC, the server responds to PASV like this (from the server's log).

1520995704941.png

That (192.168.1.151, DHCP from my FIOS router) is a non-routable address.
But TCC actually receives this (from IFTP /V).

1520995874258.png

That's as it should be, the real-world IP address of my router. So, from here, it looks like the port forwarding is working correctly, or TCC is patching things up.

Hmmm?

I'm coming from a Cox business connection in Arizona.

vefatica.net should lookup as 72.230.84.150 and alt.vefatica.net as 71.176.70.208 and FTP should be available at both.

Yup, I get those IPs and I can log into both FTP servers with Windows' ftp.exe and do a 'dir' just fine. Sorry, can't test with IFTP because I only have TCC LE v14.

Another thing ... both those IP names work when I use them in a browwser, or in TCC. But NSLOOKUP.EXE is all screwy. By default it tries to use the RoadRunner DNS server even though everything alse uses the Verizon DNS server (since the Verizon connection has a smaller metric). if, with NSLOOKUP, I force the Verizon DNS server (which is actually the non-routable 192.168.1.1, my FIOS router), then I get crazy results.
Code:
v:\> nslookup vefatica.net 192.168.1.1

Name:    vefatica.net.twcny.rr.com

v:\> nslookup alt.vefatica.net 192.168.1.1

Name:    alt.vefatica.net.twcny.rr.com

Those addresses returned make no sense because (1) they're the same, (2) it doesn't belong to me, and (3) it's an IP address in the UK!

That's odd! But I have seen DNSes return weird results, although I have no idea why. What DNS is your FIOS router using? I wonder if making nslookup use that directly would have different results.

It must have something to do with Windows appending domain info to hostnames, but as far as I know, Windows knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about vefatica.net or alt.vefatica.net

What's your "Register this connection's address in DNS" setting on the DNS tab of Advanced TCP/IP Settings? If it's on, which I think is the default, maybe your computer is getting its IP address from the RoadRunner router, and then it's registering the twcny.rr.com domain suffix with the FIOS router's DNS?

I solved the DNS lookup problem (see below) but I'd still like to hear about successful (or unsuccessful) downloads from ftp://alt.vefatica.net. Since dcantor tried, I added a few more port forwardings to my FIOS router. I now have ports 20, 21, 22, 65001-65010, the last group being those which my server used for passive transfers. I wouldn'y mind hearing from anyone with more experience doing this stuff with those routers.

To stop Windows appending domain suffixes to host names ... GPEDIT.MSC\ComputerConfiguration\AdministrativeTemplates\Network\DNSClient\AllowDNSSuffixAppending... using right-click\Edit, I changed it from "Not configured" to "Disabled". That worked without a reboot. I suppose it will persevere.

Regarding the DNS stuff, I failed to mention ...

NSLOOKUP was, by default, using the DNS server from "Local Area Connection" (RoadRunner) even though "Local Area Connection 2" (FIOS) has a lower metric. That was horrible because it was using the FIOS connection (lower metric) to reach a RoadRunner DNS server (which doesn't even work). So, for the RR connection, I overrode "Get DNS server automatically" and entered the DNS server IP from the FIOS connection (actually, the IP of my router itself).

Nice watch, BTW.
Now you have to hear the story (lucky you). As kids, we'd take the half-hour bus ride to Albany NY on Saturdays. Near a favorite bicycle shop was a place with that watch for sale. I admired it for a long time. On my 15th birthday, my father drove me to Albany and bought me the watch ($35). I'll never forget it. It still works very well today. I have only been able to find two like it on the web ... one at Christies (auction) expected to go for $1000-2000 and another that sold in Cyprus for about $1200. So I figure it's a little valuable. I don't use it much but it's on my wrist whenever I'm on an interstate. It's "tachymeter" feature tells me average speed over a measured mile (and for once, I have a car whose speedometer is dead-on). It's "telemeter" feature tells me how far away the lightning was if I measure the time before I hear the thunder (a feature that got old a long time ago).

TEA-Time and Charles, thanks for the report on ftp://alt.vefatica.net. Since the failure for dcantor, I added the passive xfer ports to my router's port forwarding. Maybe it'll work better for him now.

You're welcome Vince. I'm glad I could at least help verify things for you. That's very cool about the watch. I'm glad I got to see it!

I can now connect with both domain names and both IP addresses using FileZilla.

As unfortunate as it is, you broke your Windows DNS resolution, not fixed.
The origin of your problem was
1. an error in your query and
2. probably a misconfigured network interface with connection suffixes added when you did not expect them to.

While the latter I will leave as an exercise to you, the former is easily solved using proper query syntax.
Try
Code:
nslookup vefatica.net.
Appending a dot (otherwise known as FULL STOP) to the domain name tells name resolution stack that we want to resolve this exact name and no substitution should be made.

I know about the full stop, but I never had to do it in the past. I have never benefitted from the suffix appending, which is now turned off thanks to GPEDIT.MSC. Unqualified names have always been mentioned in HOSTS/LMHOSTS.

Back