Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Off topic? I get É and not é.

May
I am Italian and so I use an Italian keyboard.
After "qwertyuiop" there is a key that has "è" if pressed alone, "é" if pressed with shift, "[" if pressed with alt gr, and "{" if pressed with shift AND alt gr.
The "issue" is that in TakeCommand and in TCC, if I press shift and that key I get "É", the uppercase accented letter, instead of the lowercase accented one. All other combinations seem to be ok.
So far it seems to me that this "issue" appears only in TakeCommand and in TCC.
I tried in command prompt and in powershell and they are ok, also word and notepad and wordpad are ok.
Is it possible that I have set up something that changes this?
How can I troubleshoot it?

Thank You very much and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Being Hungarian, I often use the "Hungarian 101-key keyboard", and have accelerator keys to switch between the US and the Hungarian keyboard (alt-shift-1 for US, alt-shift-2 for Hungarian). Note that as a US resident, I normally use the Hungarian keyboard only for word processing (both Word documents and website), so I just tested it for the first time at the TCC prompt (in a window, not a TCMD tab) and in Notepad. I found discrepancies analogous to those of the OP, some accented characters are not displayed correctly. Furthermore, Notepad has trouble also, though the displayed characters are often the box-drawing ones, instead of wrong or missing accentuation. There are no issues in MS Word.

Strange that TCC and CMD.EXE would give different results; does CHCP report the same code page in both?

I wonder whether you could set up a keystroke alias as a workaround?

I am Italian and so I use an Italian keyboard.
After "qwertyuiop" there is a key that has "è" if pressed alone, "é" if pressed with shift, "[" if pressed with alt gr, and "{" if pressed with shift AND alt gr.
The "issue" is that in TakeCommand and in TCC, if I press shift and that key I get "É", the uppercase accented letter, instead of the lowercase accented one. All other combinations seem to be ok.

When you say "in TCC", do you mean a stand-alone TCC console window or TCC running in a Take Command tab window? If it's a stand-alone TCC console window, the issue is not going to be with TCC (or Take Command). The keyboard input and the text output in the console window is handled by the Windows console manager, not TCC.

Are you using a raster font or a Unicode font?

Strange that TCC and CMD.EXE would give different results; does CHCP report the same code page in both?

I wonder whether you could set up a keystroke alias as a workaround?
It's the same in both, it's 850.
I will try to work with a keystroke alias.

Thank You and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

When you say "in TCC", do you mean a stand-alone TCC console window or TCC running in a Take Command tab window? If it's a stand-alone TCC console window, the issue is not going to be with TCC (or Take Command). The keyboard input and the text output in the console window is handled by the Windows console manager, not TCC.

Are you using a raster font or a Unicode font?
I mean both. I get this strange issue in TCC stand-alone and in TCC inside TakeCommand.
In command prompt and in powershell it works, both as stand-alone and as tabs inside TakeCommand.
Also, the issue appears if I press shift+è, but also if I type é in notepad, I select and copy it, and then I paste it. Again, command prompt and powershell work, inside or outside TakeCommand, TCC shows É. If I do the opposite, if I type shift+è in TCC, copy the resulting É and then paste in another application, it stays as É.
Generally I use Lucida Console, I tried to change to a raster font with no result.

Thank You and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

I can confirm the same exact behavior that Rodolfo reports in #1. TCC 14.02 console on Win XP SP3 Pro English edition with Italian keyboard driver and English US keyboard (toggle the driver with ALT+SHIFT). CHCP 850/1250 makes no difference. CMD console and Notepad2 work correctly, SHIFT+[è] produces lowercase e-acute.
I never noticed this issue before because I normally use a US keyboard driver and US keyboard, and type the occasional accented characters with the help of an Autohotkey script I wrote. Rodolfo you're welcome to the script if you need a work-around.