Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WAD Open handle on USB drive in TCC

Mar
I'm using TC 12.11.74 x64 on Windows 7, and I have a USB thumb drive that is usually plugged into my computer. If the drive is plugged in when I start TC, TC opens and holds a handle on the drive that prevents me from being able to eject it. I cannot close the handle except by either closing TC and all its command windows or by using Sysinternals's Process Explorer. If I start TC then plug the thumb drive in, no problem.

I've configured TC to open three windows on startup: Cygwin bash and two TCC sessions. None accesses or references the thumb drive. The initial TC List View window shows TC's installation directory on the C: drive.

I'm reasonably certain that I'm not doing anything to cause TC to look at this drive; the open handle looks like a leftover from some startup filesystem enumeration. Could this be a bug, or perhaps an issue with my PNY dirve? A possibly-related data point is that Windows displays a dialog whenever I insert this drive, claiming its filesystem needs fixing. I've let Windows "fix" it a few times but that doesn't stop it from complaining the next time.

I'd appreciate any insight.

-evan

A possibly-related data point is that Windows displays a dialog whenever I insert this drive, claiming its filesystem needs fixing. I've let Windows "fix" it a few times but that doesn't stop it from complaining the next time.

Have you tried doing a CHKDSK /F from an elevated prompt?

Have you tried doing a CHKDSK /F from an elevated prompt?
I have, and it finds no errors. I don't really care about Windows's crankiness over this drive other than the possibility that the symptom indicates something that could also be causing TC to behave incorrectly.

-evan

The only time Take Command will open a handle on a drive is if you're selected "Update Folders on Directory Creation / Deletion" in the Take Command configuration dialog (Advanced page). If you don't want to monitor the drives (and automatically update the Folder View window), you can turn off that option.