Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to? Open Take Command at current folder

Dec
I have been using Take Command and its ancestors since it was 4DOS, which means I've forgotten a great deal of it.

What I'm looking to do is open a Take Command window CDD-ed to the folder I'm looking at in Windows Explorer. I thought there once was a right-click context menu item for this, but I can't figure out to enable it.

Can someone please remind me how to do this? And as a bonus, where to find this kind of thing in the documentation?

In the TCMD install folder there are 1 few BTM files. Two ar3e called TCCHERE.BTM and TCMDHERE.BTM - just run either one of these files and I am not sure if you will need to restart the computer before they will become active.

Reactions: rlw
In the TCMD install folder there are 1 few BTM files. Two ar3e called TCCHERE.BTM and TCMDHERE.BTM - just run either one of these files and I am not sure if you will need to restart the computer before they will become active.
I'm pretty sure that you do not need to reboot.

Thanks, Charles & Charles.

This works, but it's not exactly what I had in mind. Those BTMs require me to select a folder before they will appear in the context menu, then TCC or TCMD opens inside that folder.

What I had in mind was opening to the current folder, i.e., the one I'm looking at in the Windows Explorer window. I can live with the current behavior but would prefer my desired behavior.

Followup question: when I run TCMD normally, I generally want it to open to the directory %USERPROFILE%, not in the default of TCMD's program directory. I can't just put "cdd %USERPROFILE%" in my TCSTART.BTM or it clobbers the use of "TCMD prompt here". Is there a way to distinguish, inside TCSTART, whether I am invoking TCMD in the context of "here" or not?

Sorry I'm so rusty with this; I'm just getting back to wanting to use TCMD in earnest.

What I had in mind was opening to the current folder, i.e., the one I'm looking at in the Windows Explorer window. I can live with the current behavior but would prefer my desired behavior.
See attached zipped up BTM files with lines added to also do (and undo with /u) that.

Attachments

• tcc-tcmdhere.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 316
This is probably something like what TEA-Time posted. You need to mimic what the script did in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell. It even works on the desktop. Mine (which I did by hand) looks like this.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\TCC]
@="TCCHere"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\TCC\command]
@="\"d:\\tc24\\tcc.exe\" *cdd \"%V\""

This is probably something like what TEA-Time posted.
Pretty much. Strange that %V needs to be used instead of %L, eh?
Hey, thanks! Someday I hope to regain your level of wizardry.
I'm only good with modifying existing code ..if I can figure it out Heh
Followup question: when I run TCMD normally, I generally want it to open to the directory %USERPROFILE%, not in the default of TCMD's program directory. I can't just put "cdd %USERPROFILE%" in my TCSTART.BTM or it clobbers the use of "TCMD prompt here". Is there a way to distinguish, inside TCSTART, whether I am invoking TCMD in the context of "here" or not?
Oops, forgot to address this. I just change the "Start in" field in the properties of the shortcuts.

1590641300694.png