1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to? Parsing lines containing double quotes...

Discussion in 'Support' started by mathewsdw, Apr 18, 2012.

1. mathewsdw

In a certain sense, I have a hard time believing I've never run into this before, and I also have a hard time believing that I even have to ask about it. But I've spent about 2 hours experimenting so far with no good results. So, to start, assume that I am reading data from a file whose lines take the following form:
    Code:
    Description for quoted field 1: "Quoted Field 1"   Description for quoted field 2: "Quoted Field 2" ... 

What I want to do is quite trivial, at least in principle: Get the value of "Quoted Field 2".

I have done much experimentation without being able to use (at least reliably) the double-quote character as a field separator.

And if it's relevant, since there may be "unsafe" characters in the input data I'd like to use the "Safe" routines. But I will note that I haven't been able to get this to work consistently even if the "Safe" functions are not being used.

2. vefatica

Code:
    v:\> type desc.txt
    Description for quoted field 1: "Quoted Field 1"
    Description for quoted field 2: "Quoted Field 2"

v:\> do line in @desc.txt ( if %@index[%line,field 2] GE 0 echo %@word[5,%line] )
    "Quoted Field 2"

3. vefatica

Better ... refer to the last word in the line with
    Code:
    %@word[-0,%line])

v:\> do line in @desc.txt (if %@index[%line,field 2] GE 0 echo %@word[-0,%line])
    "Quoted Field 2"

4. mathewsdw

Thank you, Vince. I'm not completely clear what the difference between the @Word... and @Field... functions is in this context, but the @Word... functions did it perfectly. (BTW, I simplified things a little bit my example in that which quoted string (of several) I wanted depended on the (unquoted) word(s) that preceded and "described" the quoted string that followed, so which actual quoted string I wanted depended on the presence/absence of certain "key" words in the descriptions that preceded each quoted string.) Again, thank you, Vince.