Portable instructions for version 19

Oct 15, 2011
Hi,

It looks like the most recent instructions for installing Take Command on a usb flash drive, are not valid for version 19.

Has anyone succeeded in making version 19 portable?

Oct 15, 2011
Hi,

It looks like the most recent instructions for installing Take Command on a usb flash drive, are not valid for version 19.

Has anyone succeeded in making version 19 portable?

Ok, than should we assume that Take Command is no longer portable, rather than waste another license trying to install it on a flash drive?

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
The installer won't do it if it's already installed on the local computer.

The installer won't do it if Windows does not identify the flash drive as removable (type 2). Some flash drives are not identified as removable.
Try
Code:
echo %@drivetype[flash_letter:]

Mar 10, 2012
I wish to install 32-bit Take Command v20 on a flash drive as a portable installation on a USB thumb drive. I have two licenses. But I can't install Take Command from a computer that already has it registered. Any my laptop has 64-bit Windows, so I can't get the 32-bit Take Command. All the test machines that my company delivers are 32-bit Windows 7 machines. How can I install 32-bit Take Command v20 on a USB thumb drive?

Old copies of Take Command were installed on a USB thumb drive using a coworker's computer or a customer's computer that does not have Take Command. I really don't feel comfortable doing that. I respect the JpSoft licence, and I run Take Command from thumb drive only once (usually) on customer computer to clean up files and folder before we ship that machine.

Thanks for your help
Steve

Aug 3, 2016
Netherlands
I had the same "problem". That's why I wrote TCMD2USB.btm to install 32-bit TCMD on a USB stick (using 64-bit Windows/TCMD).
More info here: [title]

The rest of that thread contains a lot of usful information. It is very much worth reading.

PS. If you want to minimize the traces you leave behind on the customers computer after you are done:
regsvr32 /u IsLicense50.dll

Last edited:

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
I wish to install 32-bit Take Command v20 on a flash drive as a portable installation on a USB thumb drive. I have two licenses. But I can't install Take Command from a computer that already has it registered. Any my laptop has 64-bit Windows, so I can't get the 32-bit Take Command. All the test machines that my company delivers are 32-bit Windows 7 machines. How can I install 32-bit Take Command v20 on a USB thumb drive?

There isn't any way to install TCMD on a thumb drive if you've already installed TCMD on that machine. The only workaround is to uninstall TCMD, install it on the thumb drive, remove the thumb drive, and reinstall TCMD.

Aug 16, 2008
I wish to install 32-bit Take Command v20 on a flash drive as a portable installation on a USB thumb drive.

You very likely do not want to install Take Command on a flash drive but simply want to run it from there. Run the installer with /extract to extract it to the flash drive.