Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Posting refused

May
In the last few minutes I emailed replies to two threads in this NG. Neither of them made it back yet, but I received a notification that on of them was sent to a thread that is closed. No indication which message.
BTW, IMHO the major difference between a browser-based forum and a newsgroup is the same as between needing to go to the newsstand to buy your newspaper, or having it home delivered. But with newspapers you know that there is a new one every day at the same time, with a forum using the browser results in a lot of wasted effort.
--
Steve

> In the last few minutes I emailed replies to two threads in this NG.
Neither of

> them made it back yet, but I received a notification that on of them was
sent

> to a thread that is closed. No indication which message.

The closed thread is the v12 release announcement, which (as I've said
SOOOOOOOOO many times before), I do not want people replying to, as it makes
it impossible to track bug reports.

> BTW, IMHO the major difference between a browser-based forum and a
> newsgroup is the same as between needing to go to the newsstand to buy
> your newspaper, or having it home delivered. But with newspapers you
> know that there is a new one every day at the same time, with a forum
using

> the browser results in a lot of wasted effort.

There is no newsgroup; there will never be another newsgroup. You've had 5
years to adapt!

Rex Conn
JP Software

Wow. Has it really been five years? It seems just like yesterday that
Steve and Vince were complaining about how awful the new software is
compared to the old sparklist.... <g>

-Scott

rconn <> wrote on 10/27/2010 07:05:26 PM:

> There is no newsgroup; there will never be another newsgroup. You've
had 5

> years to adapt!
>
> Rex Conn
> JP Software
>
>
>
>

BTW, IMHO the major difference between a browser-based forum and a newsgroup is the same as between needing to go to the newsstand to buy your newspaper, or having it home delivered. But with newspapers you know that there is a new one every day at the same time, with a forum using the browser results in a lot of wasted effort.

You can get daily email digests of the forum, though given your repeated complaints about waiting 5-10 minutes to see your email postings, I doubt you're going to be very satisfied about a 24-hour wait! :-)

| You can get daily email digests of the forum, though given your repeated complaints
| about waiting 5-10 minutes to see your email postings, I doubt you're going to be very
| satisfied about a 24-hour wait! :-)

I do not complain about 5..10 min delay, I complain about a/ multihour delay, and b/ unpredictability of delay duration.
--
Steve

Rex Conn:
| There is no newsgroup; there will never be another newsgroup. You've had 5
| years to adapt!

There is a difference between being resigned to, adapting to, or liking a situation. I have resigned myself to the lack of a newsgroup, and grudgingly adapted to it. That does not mean I have to like it, just as I have resigned myself to the refusal of the US Postal Service to make home delivery of mail, but that does not mean I like it.
I still participate in several real newsgroups, and my posts rarely take more time to appear than the next poll by Outlook Express.
--
Steve

There is no newsgroup; there will never be another newsgroup. You've had 5 years to adapt!

Well, it sounds like a chapter from Darwin ... adapt or become extinct!

My big question is "Why?". Why do (did :-) we have to suffer this degradation in the feedback process? It seems, to me, to have been imposed from the top down. It just doesn't work as well for the end-user. Once upon a time I said (once and for all time) please send the information to me ... and it was sent to me, in a timely fashion, and my contributions were available to others in a timely fashion. Now I must go in search of it ... register, logon, navigate a maze of web pages, tolerate interfaces that make it difficult or impossible to say what I want to say, and wait arbitrary amounts of time before anyone else sees what I have to say and I see any responses. Conversations that once took minutes take days. NNTP was accurate and darn near instantaneous.

I really don't get it. **Why** has there been this change in the paradigm? If someone can convince me that it was for my good, I'll stop complaining about it.

P.S. And why hasn't "instant notification" been perfected? V-bulletin's version of it ... um ... sucks. A newsreaders and email makes following these forums reasonable, but the whole system seems to fall apart when it comes to posting via email.

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 02:24:27 -0400, vefatica <>
wrote Re RE: [Support-t-2376] Re: Posting refused:

>---Quote (Originally by rconn)---
>There is no newsgroup; there will never be another newsgroup. You've had 5 years to adapt!
>---End Quote---
>Well, it sounds like a chapter from Darwin ... adapt or become extinct!
>
>My big question is "Why?". Why do (did :-) we have to suffer this degradation in the feedback process? It seems, to me, to have been imposed from the top down. It just doesn't work as well for the end-user.

+1 on that. The old SparkList had problems, but I've always
considered this support mechanism to be worse.

IMO a Yahoo Group ( http://groups.yahoo.com/ ) would be better. I
felt that way 5 years ago and I'm convinced of it now.
--
At first they laugh at you, then they ignore you, then they fight you, then you win.

Well, it sounds like a chapter from Darwin ... adapt or become extinct!

My big question is "Why?". Why do (did :-) we have to suffer this degradation in the feedback process? It seems, to me, to have been imposed from the top down.

I'm not reopening this topic; there have been hundreds of messages about in in the past 5 years and it's been discussed to death.

The fact is that for 99% of the users, the current system works far better (especially for the corporate users who were blocked from the newsgroups). Sparklist had terminal problems, was getting worse, and now doesn't even exist anymore.

Actually, a better analogy would have been to compare having your own copy at home on the one hand to having to go to the library to read it there on the other. If the library is not open (analogous to not having internet access) you're out of luck.

I cannot understand the logic of corporate IT departments that allow people to browse the internet but disallow every newsgroup. But that is controlled by people, hence rationality is not required.
--
Steve

Back