Problem with Find dialog

May 20, 2008
603
0
Sammamish, WA
TCC 10.00.57 Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
TCC Build 57 Windows XP Build 2600 Service Pack 3

If I click Start \ Run and launch TCC twice, then go to one of them
and right click and select the Find dialog, then (most) keystrokes in
the other unrelated TCC window are disabled and beep.


--
Jim Cook
2009 Saturdays: 4/4, 6/6, 8/8, 10/10, 12/12 and 5/9, 9/5, 7/11, 11/7.
Next year they're Sunday.
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
12,340
149
Jim Cook wrote:

> TCC 10.00.57 Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> TCC Build 57 Windows XP Build 2600 Service Pack 3
>
> If I click Start \ Run and launch TCC twice, then go to one of them
> and right click and select the Find dialog, then (most) keystrokes in
> the other unrelated TCC window are disabled and beep.

Not reproducible here, nor can I imagine any way that this could happen
unless (1) you're running a keyboard driver that's intercepting the
keystrokes, or (2) you've found a catastrophic Windows bug that allows
one process to interfere with input to another process in an unrelated
window. (Which wouldn't be all that surprising in the console manager!)

However, even if #1 or #2 is true, it doesn't have anything to do with
TCC -- that dialog is displayed and managed by the Windows console
manager, not TCC. (You'll get the same dialog in CMD.) TCC doesn't
handle any mouse messages unless you've turned on ON xBUTTON.

Rex Conn
JP Software
 
May 20, 2008
603
0
Sammamish, WA
>> If I click Start \ Run *and launch TCC twice, then go to one of them
>> and right click and select the Find dialog, then (most) keystrokes in
>> the other unrelated TCC window are disabled and beep.
> ---End Quote---
> Not reproducible here, nor can I imagine any way that this could happen
> unless (1) you're running a keyboard driver that's intercepting the
> keystrokes, or (2) you've found a catastrophic Windows bug that allows
> one process to interfere with input to another process in an unrelated
> window. *(Which wouldn't be all that surprising in the console manager!)
>
> However, even if #1 or #2 is true, it doesn't have anything to do with
> TCC -- that dialog is displayed and managed by the Windows console
> manager, not TCC. *(You'll get the same dialog in CMD.) *TCC doesn't
> handle any mouse messages unless you've turned on ON xBUTTON.

Even after I disabled TCSTART and TCMD.INI and killed most processes
in my system, it is perfectly repeatable.

In fact, if I'm running multiple TCC.EXE stand-alone sessions at the
same time as multiple CMD.EXE sessions, if I bring up a FIND dialog in
any TCC or CMD session, all TCC sessions beep and all CMD sessions
behave -- they either receive keystrokes or set the focus to the FIND
dialog, for the one that launched it.

If further inspection reveals anything else, I'll post it.

--
Jim Cook
2009 Saturdays: 4/4, 6/6, 8/8, 10/10, 12/12 and 5/9, 9/5, 7/11, 11/7.
Next year they're Sunday.
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
12,340
149
Jim Cook wrote:

> Even after I disabled TCSTART and TCMD.INI and killed most processes
> in my system, it is perfectly repeatable.
>
> In fact, if I'm running multiple TCC.EXE stand-alone sessions at the
> same time as multiple CMD.EXE sessions, if I bring up a FIND dialog in
> any TCC or CMD session, all TCC sessions beep and all CMD sessions
> behave -- they either receive keystrokes or set the focus to the FIND
> dialog, for the one that launched it.
>
> If further inspection reveals anything else, I'll post it.

CMD uses a different API for keyboard input, so it's not surprising that
it would behave differently.

Regardless, it's still impossible for TCC to have anything to do with
it. Have you tried contacting Microsoft?

Rex Conn
JP Software
 
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
thedave Problem chaining piped FIND commands in BTM Support 7
R A problem using find in list when word wrap? Support 2
J Problem with %var:find=replace% syntax Support 5
Dick Johnson Weird Color Problem Support 8
fishman@panix.com Problem with 27.15 Support 2
M Problem with VSDevCmd.bat in VS 16.7.3 Support 0
R Problem with @INT[ value] in V26 Support 9
M Selecting test "off by one" problem in Take command Support 4
Alpengreis UTF-8 problem in TCC related to Python Support 7
K_Meinhard Small problem in german IDE 26 Support 3
B Problem with color in nested shells Support 1
Joe Caverly Problem creating and switching to a DESKTOP Support 9
vefatica Another popup problem Support 10
Alpengreis ffind dialog (/W) problem Support 4
Alpengreis [TCMD v25.00.24] Small space problem with the DE translation in Prefs-GUI Support 1
Alpengreis [TCMD v25.00.24] Problem with copy and paste and the # char via mouse in TCC Support 6
A Problem with functions @int @decimal and identifying Powershell as a shell. Support 12
B IF command problem in tcexit.btm Support 9
fishman@panix.com Problem at Startup of TCC Support 3
P Problem with SFTP copies Support 7
P Problem with FTP copies Support 10
Jay Sage Problem with Context Menu Copy+Paste+Run Key Assignment Support 7
R Problem with %_do_loop in nested do loops Support 2
fishman@panix.com New Problem with later Windows 10 Support 10
Peter Murschall A little problem with LEAVE and COMMENT Support 5
M Handling of %~I problem Support 4
WinLanEm FOR problem Support 18
K Problem With SCRPUT /u Support 3
vefatica What's TCMD's problem with ^e[0m? Support 13
Peter Murschall IDE: RTL with non-English resources-problem is back in Build 28 Support 4
rps Regex problem: \xnn not recognized as a hex character Support 0
rps PRIORITY LOW problem Support 1
old coot Regex problem: \xnn not recognized as a hex character Support 12
vefatica Another problem with build 22. Support 3
Alpengreis [23.x] Download-Problem Support 2
S Problem with " Support 3
C Problem navigating forums Support 11
x13 Problem listing repository files using DIR http(s)://... Support 8
Joe Caverly Problem with TEE in v22 Support 2
Alpengreis Problem with thousands delimiter and colors Support 17
M Take Command 18, migrating to another machine, license problem. Support 1
B TCC 21.01.50 Problem with ALIAS /r and SET /r Support 2
rps How to? @search problem Support 2
WinLanEm @SELECT problem Support 6
T Fixed Problem with use of Batch parameters in the IDE Support 1
Oz Solomon Problem with "list" Support 14
S V21.24 theme problem Support 2
Alpengreis Problem if command prompt is not legacy Support 4
Alpengreis TCMD.INI: The "super hidden" problem ... Support 6
G Odd problem - screen brightness Support 4

Similar threads