Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Problem with 'help'

I also had the same problem on 64bit Windows 8.1 and wish I'd seen TEA-Time's excellent analysis earlier.
I have now upgraded to Windows 10 and TCC 17.00.77 x64.

The problem has now become a memory exception. Pressing F1 on the command prompt shows:

TCC has stopped working
etc.

The stack shows the point of failure to be within mshtml.dll (which is included in the KB3093983 update).

[Edit:] Fantastic sleuthing, TEA-Time. Thanks. I could certainly uninstall that update, though I'm alway a bit timid about uninstalling security updates. Not that I use IE all that often. But still. (On clicking "Like" for that post, I notice that the icon changed to "Unlike" and the "Like" counter wasn't incremented. That needs work. Hope I didn't inadvertently "Unlike" it.)
Sorry, missed your edit! Thanks, and no problem! Eh, my Like counter is still 0, but I'm not worried about it. Heh Yeah, I'm definitely not recommending uninstalling a security update, just helping narrow it down. :)

Last edited:
I also had the same problem on 64bit Windows 8.1 and wish I'd seen TEA-Time's excellent analysis earlier.
I have now upgraded to Windows 10 and TCC 17.00.77 x64.

The problem has now become a memory exception. Pressing F1 on the command prompt shows:

TCC has stopped working
etc.

The stack shows the point of failure to be within mshtml.dll (which is included in the KB3093983 update).
Yup, sounds like pretty much the same as what I'd get if/when the help actually did start, although I never had it crash right off the bat like that.

Sadly I think this is going to become more and more common with Microsoft's pompous don't ask, don't tell policy about updates they're shoving down your throat whether you like it or not in Windows 10. It's no longer possible to pick and choose in case there's a bad update, nor is it easy to just click a link to find out what an update does anymore. I'm surprised they even provide a knowledge base number.

FWIW, as of today I have same problem using TCC 16.00.43 x64 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7601].
There were some Windows updates applied recently, including for IE last week. Unfortunately, as I am under a Win 7 Enterprise installation, I have no control over updates or much else. As a workaround I added the following to my alias file:
HELP=hh "C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD16x64\tcmd.chm"
HP=hh "C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD16x64\tcmd.chm::%1.htm"
so that I can supply a command name like DIR and hope that's the name of the HTML help file.