Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to? Problem with @SFN (short filenames)

Dec
A search didn't quickly turn up a topic like this...

I was using a semi-ancient version of TCC and am now using:

TCC 20.00.14 x64 Windows 10 [Version 6.3.14393]
TCC Build 14 Windows 10 Build 14393

I don't recall having had problems with
%@sfn[] in the past, but I'm seeing some now. Example:

c:\> echo %@sfn["Program Files"]
(result:) C:\PROGRA~1 (expected)

c:\> echo %@sfn[%programfiles]
(result:) C:\PROGRA~1

I made a "Program Files" directory on D: as well.

d:\> echo %@sfn["Program Files"]
(result:) D:\Program Files (unexpected)

c:\> set zorch=D:\Program Files
c:\> echo %@sfn[%zorch]
(result:) D:\Program Files

Now change the "D:" to "C:" in the variable:

d:\> set zorch=C:\Program Files

Now . . .
d:\> echo %@sfn[%zorch]
(result:) C:\PROGRA~1

So the @SFN function doesn't seem to work at all with file or directory names on this laptop's D: drive. I noticed this when I upgraded from the semi-ancient TCC version to v.19 and noticed it again on installing v.20 today.

I don't recall that sort of thing being a problem in the past. Is it WAD? If so, what's the basis for the difference? And if so, is there some other way to return short filenames on D: without having to resort to using a cmd.exe-style "for" loop? (UGH)

I also notice that whereas Control+A toggles between SFNs and LFNs on drive C:, it doesn't work on drive D.

Are both drives NTFS? It is possible (but I never heard of it being done) to disable 8dot3 name creation on NTFS drive by drive. Try this (elevated) for c: and d:.
Code:
v:\> fsutil 8dot3name query c:
The volume state for Disable8dot3 is 0 (8dot3 name creation is enabled).
The registry state of NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation is 1 (Disable 8dot3 name creation on all volumes).
Based on the above two settings, 8dot3 name creation is disabled on c:.

Are both drives NTFS? It is possible (but I never heard of it being done) to disable 8dot3 name creation on NTFS drive by drive. Try this (elevated) for c: and d:.
Code:
v:\> fsutil 8dot3name query c:
The volume state for Disable8dot3 is 0 (8dot3 name creation is enabled).
The registry state of NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation is 1 (Disable 8dot3 name creation on all volumes).
Based on the above two settings, 8dot3 name creation is disabled on c:.

Well by Godfrey you've nailed it. Thanks very much for this suggestion. Both drives are NTFS. The output of your suggested command:

The volume state is: 1 (8dot3 name creation is disabled).
The registry state is: 2 (Per volume setting - the default).

Based on the above two settings, 8dot3 name creation is disabled on d:

I did a web search for more information about this — it's harder to find than I'd expected — and turned up:

fsutil.exe behavior set disable8dot3 0

Does that look like the right command? Is it a setting that "sticks" once you've disabled the disabling? (as it were)

Then I should ask Lenovo what's the deal with having it the one way on the one drive and not on the other.

Thanks again!

FSUTIL must be an ancient tool. It has the same wretched online "help" display of other ancient MS command-line tools. Lazy SOBs...

I don't know about that command. If there's a specific "disabled" registry entry for d:, that may override it. Experiment ... of keep Googling. :-)