Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Problem with the "List" command...

May
This is not exactly a "new" problem for me, but because of what I'm working on now it's become rather critical. What am I talking about? Specifically, when I scroll down in data from a "pipe" using the "list" command by pressing the "down arrow" key, lines scrolled up from the pipe to the bottom of the screen appear entirely blank. This has been happening for a very long time and I've been working around it by using the "page down" key (it works OK) and then scrolling back up with the “up arrow” key to see what I want to see. However, because of the level of detail in the data that I'm working on now, this has become an entirely non-acceptable “solution” because I keep losing my place entirely in the data (information from "section" to "section" of the data is very similar - differing in only a few characters). Is there a fix for this that doesn't involve upgrading to a new version of Take Command for a price? Because of my current financial conditions (I am retired due to my disabilities and living on a fixed income and recently had to buy another (used) car because an auto mechanic literally destroyed my car without taking any financial responsibility for it (and they even admit they did it!!!) and the amount of money the insurance company paid me (they totaled it!!!) was not enough to buy a "decent" used car in and of itself – and even though several lawyers I’ve talked to have told me that I definitely had a case they also told me that they (and any other lawyer) wouldn’t touch it because the total amount of money involved is less than $10,000.00. I’m sorry if this is entirely too much information, but I had to make my point). At any rate, is there anything I can do about this problem like downloading a “patch”? Again, it’s become a serious problem for me!!!

- What version of TCMD/TCC/4NT are you currently using?

- Would it be acceptable to redirect the piped output, which you are currently viewing directly with list, to an intermediary file first, and use that for viewing?

> This is not exactly a "new" problem for me, but because of what I'm
> working on now it's become rather critical. What am I talking about?
> Specifically, when I scroll down in data from a "pipe" using the "list"
> command by pressing the "down arrow" key, lines scrolled up from the
> pipe to the bottom of the screen appear *entirely* blank.

Not reproducible here. We haven't had any other reports of this problem
(and this *certainly* would have generated a few thousand complaints!).

What version of TCC / Take Command are you using, and what version of
Windows? Does it behave the same in a Take Command tab window as in a
stand-alone TCC window?

Rex Conn
JP Software

what version of the software are you using?

On 07/23/2010 05:16 AM, mathewsdw wrote:

> This is not exactly a "new" problem for me, but because of what I'm working on now it's become rather critical. What am I talking about? Specifically, when I scroll down in data from a "pipe" using the "list" command by pressing the "down arrow" key, lines scrolled up from the pipe to the bottom of the screen appear *entirely* blank. This has been happening for a very long time and I've been working around it by using the "page down" key (it works OK) and then scrolling back up with the =93up arrow=94 key to see what I want to see. However, because of the level of detail in the data that I'm working on now, this has become an entirely non-acceptable =93solution=94 because I keep losing my place entirely in the data (information from "section" to "section" of the data is very similar - differing in only a few characters). Is there a fix for this that *doesn't* involve upgrading to a new version of Take Command for a price? Because of my current financial conditions (I am retired due
to my

> disabilities and living on a fixed income and recently had to buy another (used) car because an auto mechanic literally destroyed my car without taking any financial responsibility for it (and they even admit they did it!!!) and the amount of money the insurance company paid me (they totaled it!!!) was *not* enough to buy a "decent" used car in and of itself =96 and even though several lawyers I=92ve talked to have told me that I definitely had a case they also told me that they (and any other lawyer) wouldn=92t touch it because the total amount of money involved is less than $10,000.00. I=92m sorry if this is entirely too much information, but I had to make my point). At any rate, is there anything I can do about this problem like downloading a =93patch=94? Again, it=92s become a *serious* problem for me!!!

To answer all the questions at once, TCC 10.00.67 Windows 7. (Sorry I forgot, but then, as I think I've already said, my memory ain't so good.) As far as piping to a file and using that - that's how I generally do it. It does work around the problem but is very inconvenient. And Rex, I totally understand and agree with you about the "thousands of complaints" - that't the main reason I haven't complained about it myself until now!

As far as piping to a file and using that - that's how I generally do it. It does work around the problem but is very inconvenient.

Thanks to TCC, it need not be.

Provided that no other solution is found, a little batch programming could create a custom command that does all the work, to be used instead of List.

I don't know the specifics of your work, so is just a very simple example for what can be done:

Code:
set intermed=%@UNIQUE[c:\Windows\temp]
{output formerly piped into list}> %intermed
list %intermed
del %intermed
unset intermed

Command line parameters and conditional expressions could add flexibility, if needed.

Thanks to TCC, it need not be.

Provided that no other solution is found, a little batch programming could create a custom command that does all the work, to be used instead of List.

I don't know the specifics of your work, so is just a very simple example for what can be done:

Code:
set intermed=%@UNIQUE[c:\Windows\temp]
{output formerly piped into list}> %intermed
list %intermed
del %intermed
unset intermed

Command line parameters and conditional expressions could add flexibility, if needed.

Thank you, that's not a bad suggestion. But it would still be much nicer if the LIST command worked for me as it's supposed to in this situation in the first place...

I don't see that anybody has suggested having the free TCC/LE installed as
well. Clearly, you lose a lot of useful features but perhaps the newest
version would suffice. Since there is a new major release (11) after your
version 10, and another major release (12) is in the works, I certainly
wouldn't expect Rex (or anybody) to backpatch that version.

Did you know that version 10.0.78 is available at ftp://jpsoft.com/oldver ?
I don't remember what was fixed between your version 10.0.67 and 10.0.78,
but that is probably worth considering as well.

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 9:11 AM, mathewsdw <> wrote:

> ---Quote (Originally by Arminius)---
> Thanks to TCC, it need not be.
>
> Provided that no other solution is found, a little batch programming could
> create a custom command that does all the work, to be used instead of
> *List*.
>
> I don't know the specifics of your work, so is just a very simple example
> for what can be done:
>
>
> Code:
> ---------
> set intermed=%@UNIQUE[c:\Windows\temp]
> {output formerly piped into list}> %intermed
> list %intermed
> del %intermed
> unset intermed
> ---------
>
> Command line parameters and conditional expressions could add flexibility,
> if needed.
> ---End Quote---
>
> Thank you, that's not a bad suggestion. But it would still be much nicer if
> the LIST command worked for me as it's supposed to in this situation in the
> first place...
>
>
>
>
>

--
Jim Cook
2010 Sundays: 4/4, 6/6, 8/8, 10/10, 12/12 and 5/9, 9/5, 7/11, 11/7.
Next year they're Monday.